new pc build, thermalright or watercooling?

glad123gladglad 08:12 04 Dec 07

hello, i am looking to build a new pc, it will have Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music card, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping ‘Energy Efficient’ - 2.4GHz – 8mb Cache.
ASUS Maximus Extreme motherboard. the memory will be OCZ FlexXLC PC2-9600
ATI Radeon X1900 XT 512mb £90 or
Graphics Accelerator Nvidia Geforce 8400gs, 256mb £35 512mb £40 graphics card
OCZ StealthXstream 600W £45 power pack
Nzxt Hush case
Samsung SH-S203N/RSMN 20xDVD±R, 12xDVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RWx6, SATA,Lightscribe, Black, Retail inc Nero £21 (2 needed) dvd drive
Samsung SpinPoint T166 HD501LJ 500gb hard drive

I am looking to probably overclock this a little. Like the core quad processor to 3ghz.
I was thinking of getting some thermalright coolers,
ultra-120 extreme and 120mm fan (CPU)
hr-09 (mosfet)
hr-05/ifk and 80mm fan (chipset)
hr-07 duo (memory)
hr-o3 gt 92mm fan (vga)

i was wondering if this is ideal or if i should spend a bit more and get a water cooling set, i do not want to spend over £150 on a water cooling set though.

thankyou for your help

I am Spartacus 10:25 04 Dec 07

An overclock to 3GHz should be easily handled by the Ultra 120. However looking at the motherboard layout and the fact that the Ultra 120 is quite large you may have difficulty fitting the mosfet heatsinks due to lack of space.

Also if you decide to change your graphics card for a more powerful one (which tend to be larger) then the northbridge heatsink may also be problematical so you'll need to bear that in mind.

That motherboard is designed for watercooling so may be overkill if you're going to use it with air cooling heatsinks.

The case is a reasonable size and appears to have a fan at front and rear so should provide adequate airflow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant