New PC Advice

rogertjj 10:36 27 Aug 03

I'm looking at buying a new PC after having one from Time for the last 4 years. Has anyone had any experience with Demonite ?? Looking at spending around £1,500. Are there any better places to buy from ??

Thanks

leo49 10:58 27 Aug 03

I noticed their advert in a friend's Computer Shopper this month- first time I'd ever heard of them. I was struck by the similarity between them and Alienware.

click here

Regards

-pops- 10:59 27 Aug 03

£1500 is an awful lot of money to spend. You should be able to get an excellent machine for much less than that.

I've never heard of Demonite.

leo49 12:18 27 Aug 03

Have you looked at Poweroid? They're on my shortlist for my next PC.

click here

Regards

KevMac1962 12:36 27 Aug 03

I've had all my PCs built for me to my own spec by the computer shop down the road. They have been good quality, reliable.......and much much cheaper! You can ask for exactly the RAM / processor / HD / OS / graphics or sound card that you want, and also whether you want a CD or DVD writer, screen, keyboard, speaekers, mouse - absolutely everything. I just didn't like the idea of buying one from a shop which had components which, although sound impressive, just weren't useful to me, but I'd end up paying for them anyway. If you want their details, let me know. And no, I don't work for them, I'm just a satisfied customer!
I also agree that 1500 is a huge amount to pay for a machine - are you using it for the latest games or something? In which case, I'll just shut up!

rogertjj 14:06 27 Aug 03

When you say £1,500 os an awful lot of money to spend, surely if you want a decent PC, you have to spend that sort of money don't you. I am looking at doing more video editing, so I need a pretty hefty PC. I have looked at Time, but I had one of theirs last time, and it was not very good to put it politely !!

sjr1 16:29 27 Aug 03

Yum £1500....... Iam thinking selfbuild ..
Or local PC shop..My local is normaly with a couple of £ for componets,most of the time they will match the price I find online and I save the del charge

accord 17:18 27 Aug 03

rogertjj

in my experience you dont have to spend a fortune on a decent pc. my present mesh cost me £800 with TFT and my previous Panrix (now ceased) again cost me £ 800 with Sony 15" CRT.

It all depends what you are doing with it.

leo49 17:32 27 Aug 03

I think it's presumptuous for anyone to say that's too it's much to spend - it depends on the individual's wants, depth of pocket and needs[usually in that order].I would guess that 'want' left 'need' far behind many moons ago for the majority of home users. But PC usage is changing and it's rather quaint not to recognise that fact. Folk are no longer willing to settle for plain drab beige boxes and care not a fig that according to some source or other it's the most utilitarian colour.

The days of utility and the PC as a mere tool for 'sums and letters' are far behind us. Modern usage for entertainment requires enormous storage capacity - I've 80gb of music alone on my PC - and processing power for music production and photo/video processing. And if you want a heavyweight machine then the price soon ticks up given the sheer cost of components.

I would say, if you can, to hang on for a few weeks as AMD are launching their new 64-bit processor next month and if history is a guide that should herald a price cut in the current top of the range Barton chips and a similar response from Intel.

Regards

Blitzer 20:13 27 Aug 03

rogertjj,

I've bought three systems from Evesham over the years and every time have been please with both the service and machines purchased. The last one I bought from them was earlier this year as a birthday present for my girlfriend, then her mother also ended up buying from Evesham.

Another alternative is of course to upgrade an exising machine where you can save some money depending on just what new items you want. For example, shortly after buying the new computer for my girlfriend I decided to take the plunge and ordered a number of new parts for my other computer. Paying approx half the price of the new one I was able to purchase parts that essentially got me a slightly faster machine. More importantly I was the one to choose exactly what parts I wanted in the thing. :) There are of course downsides - no warranty for the machine as a whole and the risk of non-compatibility etc. Naturally, not everything got replace either - same old case, monitor and disk drives.

Anyway, HTH. :)

Ironman556 21:42 27 Aug 03

If you're willing to build you can get exactly what you want and make the most of your money.

My spec: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, Athlon XP2800, 1GB Dual DDR 400, Antec 480W Power Supply, DVD, CDRW, 17" LG TFT, Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro, Seagate 80Gb SATA HDD, Logitech Z640 speakers.

My spec wouldn't suit everyone, but you could cut down on the speakers and TFT and put the money towards a larger hard drive(s), and look around for alternative graphics cards.

If you're not willing to build then don't go with a large company who mass produces PC's. Go down to your local suplier, tell them what you want and they'll help you get the best for your money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…