New PC

Mitts 07:42 11 Nov 06

Hello all,

I have been spending the previous fortnight trying to decide on a new PC. What a headache...

I have found a setup on Dell that seems the most reasonable. I couldn't even build a system like this from buying individual parts.

Dimension E521
AMD® Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
Dell™ 19" Value Flat Panel
2048MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz [2x1024] Memory
250GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
16x DVD +/- RW Drive
256MB nVidia® GeForce® 7300 Turbocache graphics card
£605 Includes VAT & Shipping

I intend to play the latest games and would probably rip out the PSU and graphics card and invest in something better at a later date.

I would be grateful for feedback as to regards to downsides to this system. And any suggestions to a better setup for the same money.

Regards,

Diodorus Siculus 08:39 11 Nov 06

In the past it was not possible to change the Dell PSUs as they had special connections - it will be worth checking with them if that is still the case.

Turbocache cards are not a lot of use for the lastest games - they share some of the system RAM as well as the RAM built into the card.

FatboySlim71 09:25 11 Nov 06

I have a friend who bought a Dell PC not that long ago and I am sure the PSU's are still the same, for want of a better word exclusive to Dell, the same can be said for a lot of other parts on Dell PC's.

Bear in mind Mitts, if you do take the old PSU out and install a new one, the warranty will be void, as Dell do not have an open case warranty, like most if not all other PC manafacturers have.

I was on the verge of buying a Dell PC until I contacted them and asked if I would be able to take out the DVD drives that would have been in it(as these were a poorer quality to the drives I already owned) when I got the PC and put my own in, Dells reply was "If you take the drives out yourself you will void the warranty, if you get one of our engineers to do it the warranty will remain intact"

So I chose to go elsewhere for a PC.

terryf 10:33 11 Nov 06

click here? to see if they do a system to your spec, my son buys from them for business use and reckons that they are good value for money. Delivery is speedy as well, I got bits from them that were delivered before the promised date.

lisa02 10:34 11 Nov 06

The 7300TC is the 7XXX version of the 6200TC budget card. I have it (6200) and it now struggles BEYOND BELIEF... buy a system with a better card from day one.

Dell aren't good for the upgrader.

Mitts 16:59 11 Nov 06

Thank you for your input.

I wasn't aware of the PSU issue, but was aware that the Graphics card wasn't up to much.

Could anyone point me in the direction of a similar system, with upgrade possibilities, around the same price. I am really cautious about buying individual parts and to self build.

I'm from Northern Ireland and there ain't a lot of competitive computer suppliers around here, meaning I'd have to buy on-line. And my experience of on-line purchases has been iffy at the least. I bought a graphics card a month ago, it turned out to be faulty and I've spent the last month trying to recitify it. If I was to buy 10 parts no doubt something would go wrong, and I'd be left wanting.

I'd feel that a pre-built would suit me much better.

Regards,

FatboySlim71 17:25 11 Nov 06

I recommend Evesham, ive had mine for 10 months and no probs at all, its a very stable excellent pc and with Evesham you have an open case warranty. I ordered mine and was told it would be around 10 days until it was delivered, they ask me for a mobile phone number and they said the day its despatched they would send a text message to me to notify me of the fact and they told me the PC would be delivered a day from when I receive the text message, which indeed it was and also the PC was delivered in about 4 days rather than the 10 days they had quoted, absolute A1 service I received from them. They have a wide range of PC's to suit most budgets.

click here

freaky 18:50 11 Nov 06

A lot of the international PC suppliers such as Dell, use non-standard components and cases.

This can cause problems if you wish to upgrade.

Also if a part needs replacing when the PC is out of warranty, then you would have to source it from the supplier. This would be expensive and time consuming.

lisa02 18:55 11 Nov 06

mplex

click here a Northern Ireland chain, I can thoroughly recommend them.

Totally-braindead 19:29 11 Nov 06

You could buy either a Novatech barebones and choose what hard drives etc you wanted or a system click here advantages are they are made of standard components so are easy to upgrade, parts listed are compatible ie right memory for the processor and its ready built, or almost ready built in the case of the barebones and its cheaper than buying the components individually.
Disadvantages, all come with a standard run of the mill power supply which you would certainly wish to change to a branded one, you might not find the spec you want. They are good value though and if you have a good look you should be able to find something that suits.
Dells are good computers and come at an excellent price but if wish to upgrade you might have problems. For what you want I don't think Dell would be the way forward. Better picking a manufacturer that uses standard parts.

freaky 20:09 11 Nov 06

Just had a look at your Novatech link, as you state: -

"all come with a standard run of the mill power supply which you would certainly wish to change to a branded one".

Pity they don't offer a choice of PSU, seems rather retrograde. Mesh tend to do the same.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…