New Panasonic DVD Recorder with 160GB HDD

SEASHANTY 12:45 17 Jul 04

Panasonic will shortly release its latest standalone
DVD recorder with a 160GB hard disk which will record up to 284 hours of TV in EP mode. Techtronics
will be retailing a multi-region version of the
DMR-E95HEBS
click here

TomJerry 13:25 17 Jul 04

A Liteon DVD recorder (without HD) can be bought for £199

SEASHANTY 14:09 17 Jul 04

Yes, I know, SVP send me details of the Liteon in their weekly emails - but the Liteon doesn't have
a hard disk or include DVD-RAM as an additional option (and a RAM disc can be re-recorded over and over again - up to 100,000 times).

ensonricky 08:33 18 Jul 04

The prices on HD recorders is bound to come down quickly so I would advise anybody to hold on for 3-6 months. I would say that purchasing a recorder without a hard disk is not advisable. The size of the hard disk quoted at 160GB is excessive and the current standard of 80GB for 300-400 pounds seems a better option.

SEASHANTY 11:54 18 Jul 04

160GB excessive?? Not for MPEG2 video files it isn't considering the amount of data these files need. They are massive. If you want excellent quality i.e. recording in XP mode then you can divide that 284 hours by 8. Agree that prices will
drop but this, so far as I am aware, is the only
DVD recorder with this size disc so it isn't going to fall on price as quickly as the others.

crx1600 12:26 18 Jul 04

pioneer also have a recorder with 160GB click here

ensonricky 13:01 18 Jul 04

160gb is excessive because the hard discs will invariably be used for short term recording to be viewed later, I would not advise anyone to store files they want to keep on a hard disk that could fail at anytime. With the advent of dual layer disks a much more viable medium for keeping files will become available. If you intend keeping files long term the 160MB will still be inadequate. My verdict will still be that the price quoted makes the Panasonic recorder an over priced luxury at present.

SEASHANTY 13:12 18 Jul 04

Pioneer DVR-720 looks to be an excellent machine.
Same price as the Panasonic. £650 from just the one retailer. Only the Panasonic DMR-E95HEG is shown on Pricerunner click here

crx1600 13:25 18 Jul 04

SEASHANTY, the pioneer is on the second page of your link. (showing 2 retailers)

SEASHANTY 13:26 18 Jul 04

Hi again ensonricky. I use my Panasonic DMR-E85 which has an 80GB hard disk to transfer anything I want to keep onto the machine's DVD-R recorder. The
high speed dubbing takes about 15 minutes to record
to a 4.7GB DVD-R. In high quality (what Panasonic call XP and what Pioneer call 'Fine') the 80GB HDD
will hold approx 18 hours of video. If it had a 160GB hard disk it would hold double that. Sorry - whilst I agree that the HDD is not for permanent storage, it takes me a while to get around to deleting stuff. Still don't believe a 160GB HDD is
excessive by today's standards. Many users on this forum have in fact installed just such capacity HDD's solely for the purpose of video editing, leaving their main HDD free of these files.

SEASHANTY 13:33 18 Jul 04

Thanks for that. Serves me right for not checking out my own link. I have previously purchased from Techtronics but when I purchased the DMR-E85 they refused to match Digital-points £450 price saying it was below Panasonics trade price so I purchased from
Digital-point Birmingham who delivered free in less than 48 hours. I will not be updating this for quite some time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…