new P5 775 processors

Haggie 17:21 04 Oct 04

Is it worth while looking at doing a self build with the 478 P4 & aa ASUS mobo based on the intel 865 chip when the new standards released are becoming more availablealbeit more costly?
Or is it not better the wait for a while till the new specs come down in price than to build a system based on older tech, or is the older tech gonna run side by side with the new spec.
Besides the old stuff being somewhat cheaper in cost, is the idea of a new system not better to be as future proof as poss? as it aint really the best idea to get a system that now cannot be upgraded in processor without renewing the mobo as well and in the case of the PCI mobo's possibly renewing other cards as well.

i got me a predicament since i was gonna self build but now the 775 seies is out it just got harder n more costly to have the lateset specs.

any thoughts are welcome

Rayuk 18:08 04 Oct 04

You will have to take the plunge at some point.
If you wait for the 775 prices to drop there will be something else just around the corner.
So buy what you can afford.

Its a similar story with AMD socket 754 for budget and socket 939 for top end.

david.h 18:52 04 Oct 04

the present intel motherboards should drop soon as the new intel boards with fsb of 1080 and faster versions of ddr2 memory are released, expected late this year.

ensonricky 22:53 04 Oct 04

Please note, forget Pentium they are well behind the game at the moment and lacking clear direction. The future is the AMD 64, 939 socket.

Rayuk 17:26 05 Oct 04

Also just noticed on The Register that the Athlon64s are due a price cut on 18th Oct

party-time 17:33 05 Oct 04

>> Please note, forget Pentium they are well behind the game at the moment and lacking clear direction. The future is the AMD 64, 939 socket.

Any technical arguments to back that up?

BeForU 17:41 05 Oct 04

The AMD 64 is a good choice for any gamer's out there who wish to upgrade and get some of the fastest performance. But that's about it in my opinion. If you do alot of office work then the Pentium 4's are still the better processors for them.

party-time 17:53 05 Oct 04

ensonricky, you say that with the authority of a seasoned veteran who's an expert at assessing the competing platforms. I look forward to the technical analysis for your recommendation.

In the interim I would like to state that the alarming aspect of recent developments are that the two camps are moving more and more apart.

DDR on the AMD, DDR2 on the Intel; AGP on the AMD, PCIe on the Intel, Memory controllers etc integrated into the AMD processor, commitment to using north/southbridge control on the Intel; even dual core implementations will vary widely and don't even go into 64 bit computing. There was a time when a single motherboard supported Intel, AMD, Cyrix AND IBM processors (486s). Yes!

A logical extension of the current trends throws up a worrying picture of the future where no part that works on the Intel PC will work on an AMD one. In fact, given time, an Intel may be able to share more parts with an Apple than an AMD PC.

And what's the point of ratifying standards? Graphics card manufacturers do whatever they wish, make cards that stick out on all sides/block PCI slots etc (this is a violation of agreed standards). PSU and case manufacturers are a law unto themselves. BTX? Hah! RAM manufacturers do what they want too, some even do stupid things like sticking flashing lights (Corsair, stand up and admit your "Pro" range), and fans - FANS! I swear - on RAM modules.....

The world's gone mad, your life as a consumer will only get worse when it comes to compatibilities. And you'll need more guidance than offered by the millions of pseudo expert-next-door types who talk rubbish that sounds intelligent only because you don't know how to recognise the garbage anymore.

party-time 18:02 05 Oct 04

>> The AMD 64 is a good choice for any gamer's out there who wish to upgrade and get some of the fastest performance

Why?

>> If you do alot of office work then the Pentium 4's are still the better processors

Why?

Dorsai 18:25 05 Oct 04

Pc technoligy moves on so fast that it's out of date by the time it lands on the shop shelf. They are already planning the replacement for the replacement for what they have just started selling.

As said, buy what you can afford.

Rayuk 18:27 05 Oct 04

AMD will have pcie very soon
click here

And regarding AMD and DDR2 click here

Best cpu for gamers AMD FX and at a price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…