New Multifunction Printer

OhBeardedOne 13:22 22 Feb 10

There I was about to buy the canon MP990, and then I read the string about ink usage. I need something to replace my Canon i905d, which has suddenly decided not to feed paper through any more...a distinct disadvantage for a printer.
I could save a lot of space by going for a multi function device with scanner/copier and fax, but it has to be able to produce decent photo prints up to A$ without needing an ink cartridge change every five minutes. It wont be used every day so the heads musn't clog up either.
Anybody got any recommendations, budget is not the main issue.

morddwyd 19:50 22 Feb 10

Have a look at the HP Photosmart range.

I had a C6180 which did very good photoprints.

OhBeardedOne 09:30 23 Feb 10

Thanks for the suggestion. Every time I think I've decided on a printer I read another review, which puts me off. HP seem to have their fair share of problems.
I like the look of the Canon MP990 or MX870, one of the Epson range, and the Lexmark Pro range. All seem to have their detractors...what is a guy to do?

john bunyan 12:40 23 Feb 10

I am very happy (except for the fact there is no changeable waste ink pad) with my Canon MP640(Much cheaper than 990 or 870 but it does not scan slides nor 35mm negs.) I may buy a 8800f for that as I begrudge "thowing away" a good MP just because the ink pad gets full after 3 years or so and the cost of replacing is near the cost of a new MP.I had trouble with my last Epson with ink freeze.

chub_tor 16:53 23 Feb 10

Just bought my daughter a Canon MP560 wireless all in one. Cheap cartridges and head is removable so can be washed out if it clogs. Great machine.

OhBeardedOne 08:07 01 Mar 10

Well guys thanks for the comments. In the end I went round in a complete circle. I read so many horror eviews about Epson's clogging up and HP software glitches that I stuck with Canon and went with my first decision, the MP990.
Time, and my wallet, will tell if it was the right decision.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…