New MP Device

john bunyan 15:26 15 Sep 09

I have a Canon MP760 which has been excellent as it is a good printer for photos and has a facilty for occasional scanning of 35 mm film and slides. It is near the end of it's shelf life as I am gettin a warning that the waste ing pad is almost full and I checked the repair cost - over £200 plus VAT. I Like Canon as I had troule with a similar Epson with ink freeze. There is a new Wi fi model out soon ,the MP 940 which looks good except it dord not have the 35mm facility - the MP 990 out in Nov is very expensive at over £330. I suppose , although bulky , I could keep the MP 760 just for 35mm scanning, or buy a combined flatbed 35 mm scanner. I need a MP as my wife uses it as a photocopier. Any ideas - I would prefer Canon if possible.

oresome 16:10 15 Sep 09

Have you tried resetting the counter to extend it's life?

The manual states

Select
(7) Printer
(5) Ink Abs Capa in the service mode and input a value between 0 and 100% using the numeric keys

Of course the ink pad could really be saturated and need replacing!

john bunyan 16:28 15 Sep 09

I selected the printer in Control Panel (XP) and then Properties, then Maintenance. The only options are Cleaning, Deep Cleaning etc - no mention of Ink Abs Capa. On the MP 760's own tools menu I could not find this option either.
A local Cartridge World shop where I bought it thought that 3 and a half years was not bad. I am a bit annoyed that this pad is not easily renewable by the end user - it seems a deliberate built in obsolescence feature!JB

chub_tor 16:51 15 Sep 09

Try this page click here or click here

BRYNIT 16:51 15 Sep 09

This may help click here about half way down tells you how to sort out the message and clean the ink pad

chub_tor 16:56 15 Sep 09

This was posted for a MP 730, might work for your MP 760

"It could be due to "waste tank full" alarm; you may need to reset the waste tank counter.
I found a reset sequence for a MP730 printer in this website that works for F30 as well. Try:
Resetting the Waste Ink Volume Counter
1) Enter SERVICE MODE.---
By pressing Menu-Copy-#
2) Select TEST MODE.
3) Select [8] PRINTER TEST in TEST MODE.
4) Select 3. [EEPROM CLEAR].
5) Select 0. [INK COUNT].
6) Press the [OK] key.
7) Press the [Stop/Reset] key (returning to the state of 3)), and then press the [ON/OFF] key"

BRYNIT 17:01 15 Sep 09

Also found the Canon MP760 Service Manual.
Note this is a direct link to the PDF file click here

oresome 17:07 15 Sep 09

I don't think you have accessed the service menu.

Try the following:

From the standby copy mode

Press the menu key

Then press scan, copy and then scan button

Should now display service Mode

Select the menu item number with the advance and back arrows (7) then (5) as previous post.

BRYNIT 17:38 15 Sep 09

Oresome

Did you click on the link and read the Manual.

Unless I'm having problem reading, the link supplied is to a 97 page Service Manual on the MP760. Pages include Maintenance, List of error display/indication, Notes on Service Part Replacement (and Disassembling/Reassembling) etc including Pictures of the inside of the printer.

john bunyan 17:51 15 Sep 09

Thanks. Oresome - yes that seems to work.Will also look at chub_tor method. The problem may be that one day the pad will overflow, and from other forums it seems difficult to take it to bits. Will mark as resolved for mow - thanks to all who replied - I wish Canon had a tube to a tank that the user could empty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…