New microwave, no CE plate?

Graham. 16:32 13 Aug 10

I've just bought a new Panasonic microwave from Comet. I can't find a CE marking plate stating the voltage, etc. I suspect this is not legal - what does the panel think?

spuds 16:45 13 Aug 10

If it hasn't any safety markings or logos on it, or/and there isn't any mention in the instruction manual, then contact Comet asap.

I had a charger device that didn't have any safety markings, and trading standards were soon onto the retailer.

rdave13 18:36 13 Aug 10

Strange for someone like Comet to miss something like that. On my Sharp microwave its on the right hand side of the door opening near the latch. Not the most obvious place.

morddwyd 20:06 13 Aug 10

You can buy self adhesive sheets of these from most industrial/office suppliers.

click here

If you're that worried buy some yourself and stick one on.

That's what the manufacturers do!

ronalddonald 21:13 13 Aug 10

could be on the in inside of the microwave.

Graham. 22:22 13 Aug 10

By gum, tha's cracked it. That's where it was hiding. Thanks.

Are you seriously suggesting that someone should stick a CE label on a piece of untested kit that possibly doesn't meet European standards ?
That sort of practice is how people get electrocuted (or burnt by microwave radation)
Fortunately Graham has found the sticker and won't be following your dangerous advice.

wiz-king 10:25 14 Aug 10

It happens - lots of cheap stuff coming in from the far east mainly.

spuds 11:47 14 Aug 10

When the item overheats,and possibly explodes into flames, the 'bought' glued stickers fall off ;o))

jack 15:06 14 Aug 10

'That CE labels' are freely obtainable
Then any appliance that has such a label separate from the main manufacturers label should be treated with some suspicion.
If a manufacturer was making kit for the CE market then the mark would be integral to the main spec plate.
If separate then it would suggest, to me at any rate the seller[No matter how big the firm] is buying cheap from the 'Grey' market and simply putting the labels on to comply with legislation.

morddwyd 16:30 14 Aug 10

"Are you seriously suggesting that someone should stick a CE label on a piece of untested kit that possibly doesn't meet European standards ?"

No, I'm suggesting that's what sometimes happens in practice.

The components for much of the electric/electronic stuff coming from the far east are actually manufactured in small one man operated back street garages/workshops.

If if you think these operators even know the stringent CE testing procedures, let alone carry them out I'm afraid you're very naive.

Sample testing is carried out by the major names, such as Sony, Samsung, Panasonic and the like, but each individual component is not tested.

Completed assemblies, from televisions to microwaves, do go through full safety tests, but failures do occur.

The subject of CE labelling has come up several times before in these forums and my reply, from my experience as a H&S Officer, as always been along the same lines as the one I gave here.

My intention is not to suggest that anyone should use an unsafe item, but to show that the CE label is not worth the paper it is printed on, and can be bought, from reputable companies, as shown in my link, for less than 1p each.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017