New Laptop - wait for the January sales or buy now

Benontheroad 12:24 18 Dec 06

Hi...I am debating whether to buy a new laptop pre-xmas or wait until the January sales

I am currently looking at the cheap Acer laptop Aspire 5051AWXMi on click here which is selling for under 400 pounds

What do you think? Buy now and get what looks like a good deal or wait until the new year in the hope that there will be some better deals?

I would be interested in other peoples thoughts...

The Brigadier 12:38 18 Dec 06

I'm in the same postion, do i buy now or in early 2007? Buy now & there are some good deals, but buying in early 2007 (Jan to March) the choice will be more, both dual core & turion 64x2 cpu's being hopefully offered as standard instead of single core at the moment.

And normally some good deals on after xmas, even though some shops are doing their sales already!

Stuartli 15:30 18 Dec 06

Personally I would wait until January; however, you may then decide that you will wait just that bit longer and, in the end, never buy anything...:-)

grumpygramp 15:39 18 Dec 06

quite a few traders have already started their sales already. Christmas shopping seems to have suffered this year from the Internet

spuds 19:45 18 Dec 06

Looking at some of the price reductions on offer now, I think the term of January sales as now become a myth.

Forum Editor 20:17 18 Dec 06

for a couple of weeks, and then go shopping.....in Tottenham Court Road if you're in the area. There are always some excellent deals to be had there just after Christmas.

Benontheroad 21:18 18 Dec 06

Thanks for the responses. I think I am going to wait until January and hope :) I will be checking out all the usual sites with my credit card at the ready on Boxing Day

Stuartli 00:02 19 Dec 06

Boxing Day is still in December...:-)

rupie 00:48 19 Dec 06

Prices in the run up to xmas are increased in all retail markets. As an effect of this the sale prices are probably back to normal and also sales are used to get rid of excess stock( that is what a sale traditionally has always been, in every retail market) So wait til just after the sales to see what is a good bargin.
Although they do not sell computers NEXT is the only traditional SALE left in the high street

Benontheroad 13:34 26 Dec 06

So, I didn't buy my new laptop before xmas as I decided to wait for the post xmas sales...

Has anyone seen any good new deals for laptops under 800 pounds?

I have checked

pcworld
currys
dixons

Would be good to cross reference with anyone else that is looking

Benjamin

LastChip 14:12 26 Dec 06

PC World, Currys and Dixons are all the same group (DRG)?

Therefore, they all supply much the same products.

For alternatives, the major players are probably:

Comet and Staples, or use one of the on-line retailers such as ebuyer, Dabs, Komplett, or Novatech.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…