New laptop to use abroad, help!

marchbryant 16:34 29 Feb 04

I am moving to Oz in Oct this year but I need a new laptop now to take with us when we move. I am keen to buy a desktop replacement and will be using it for photo editing, e-mail, spreadsheets, some games, DVD and CD editing.
I have a budget of £1200 and require an international warranty.
Does anyone have any useful tips on where to start? Dell Inspiron looks good but there must be a buyers guide for laptops with interantional warranties! Please help, I ma breaking point!

spuds 16:52 29 Feb 04

I would suggest that you wait, and perhaps purchase in Oz.If you 'stop-over' in Singapore or Hong Kong en-route, then you may find that you can buy cheaper, with a warranty that would cover Australia/New Zealand/Tasmania.International warranties can be problematic.If you require a laptop for usage now, why not purchase with a view of selling before your departure.

steve0 20:15 29 Feb 04

Agree with spuds - buy in Oz. Was there last year and noticed how much cheaper computer equipment is in Australia. They have loads of discount shops, much better than the UK

Demora 22:55 29 Feb 04

Just one point.

I bought a Toshiba in the USA (Laptop) over a year ago and the international gaurentee is fine. I haven't had any problems with it so haven't had to use the support anyway.

BTW its a really well travelled machine and just stood up to the new US Security checks in Raliegh North Carolina.

Demora

marchbryant 11:36 01 Mar 04

Thnaks for your help guys,

You have confirmed what I suspected and I think I will wait until I get there! Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…