New laptop - screen quality?

stu77 23:31 12 May 08

I am thinking about how to upgrade from my trusty Dell Inspiron 8000 (c.2001). Obviously there are some internet performance issues, though still does all the routine office things fine.
I looked at the new £600 Medion 96640, which appears has much better performance, but can't get used to the fact that the screen is not nearly as sharp as my old Dell. My Dell is pin-sharp at 1400x1050 (though has started to go off-white!).
What wide-screen budget laptops should I consider if I want the same or better screen sharpness, as well as much more modern performance? Thanks in advance.

Stuart

Why wont it work 00:12 13 May 08

Possibly the Dell 1525 click here

For some reason in recent years laptops have shipped with relatively low resolution screens (ie 1280x800 for a 15.4" widescreen). Probably in an attempt to cut costs or improve the battery life of the given laptop. You can however get up to 1440x900 on the Dell 1525 not too expensively. I have a 1440x900 15.4" screen on an Asus F3Sa and it looks really nice and sharp, so I expect the Dell should be similar.

GaT7 00:26 13 May 08

What are you going to be using it for, what's your budget, how much hard drive space & what screen size do you require, & would you like XP or Vista?

As an example only, a 17" Dell Vostro 1700 for £563 click here - default spec configured with XP Pro & a TrueLife screen. The UltraSharp screen is the best, but comes at a £70 premium. If you prefer Vista, I'd recommend going for 3Gb RAM - this spec comes to £547.

Go through Quidco click here & get ~£23 cashback.

If you need it only for the Internet, office tasks & similar simple tasks you could get a reasonable Dell one for ~£300 or less, e.g. click here - select the XP Home option & TrueLife. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac