"New" laptop with previous owners data

piggy 07:08 21 Mar 05

I purchased a laptop from Dabs.com last week, I dont mind it being a returned item and it was purchased on that understanding. It was delivered within 24 hours ,but has the previous ownwers data on it ,what should I do ? just delete it and forget about it, moan about it to Dabs or let the previous owner know I have last years holiday snaps and internet browsing habits ( do people realy look at that sort of stuff !! )
you advice please

Piggy

g0slp 07:30 21 Mar 05

Unless there's anything which might get you into trouble with the authorities if found on 'your' machine, as you bought the machine on the understanding that it was a returned item I would just delete everything & forget about it.

Diodorus Siculus 07:45 21 Mar 05

Format the hdd and start from new unless there is anything sensitive on it in which case you might like to let the previous owner know.

pj123 12:07 21 Mar 05

I would have thought that for whatever reason the unit was returned, it is the responsibility of the supplier to make sure everything is put back to square one before sending out again to a new owner. If nothing else it at least means the unit has been checked as "in good working order"

I think I would just delete it and forget it.

recap 15:50 21 Mar 05

I would inform Dabs.

Hopefully the FE or Guy Dixon may pick up on this posting. If not contact the FE via the link at the top of the page.

Joynesey 16:39 21 Mar 05

As PJ says, it is the responsibility of the supplier to ensure that the machine is fully working.

I would speak to Dabs and request that they re-format the HDD and re-load the OS and applications as nesc.

pauldonovan 16:53 21 Mar 05

I would let the guy know if his contact details are on there. Mind you I would say it was up to him to wipe it before giving back to Dabs, but also their responsibility wipe before selling it on. There's a lot of press about this at the moment. If you are at all worried about what he might have done (or looked at!) on it, look around for secure wiping tools so you can erase it completely.

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:10 21 Mar 05

To save a lot of messing about with couriers I would either use the restore disk, reformat or just delete the info. If you send it back you could be without one for a couple of weeks...pragmatism is the word here.

G

piggy 19:25 21 Mar 05

The deletes have it ! And as always GANDALF <|:-)> sums it up perfectly .
Thank to you all for your input, I did e-mail Dabs but as yet no human respomse. Now to get on with life.

All the best
Piggy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…