New laptop damaged on delivery

Sturmey 22:05 24 Jun 03

I got a new laptop today, I signed for the parcel as unchecked, when I opened it up tho, the keyboard was coming off from the base :(

I have sent an email to the shop asking for a replacement, but wanted to find out if it would be be easier just to send it back under the distance selling regulations rather than go through the often long process of getting a replacement.

Thanks

Depends.

Under the Regs you cannot return an item that has been built to order. If you requested 512Mb Ram instead of the normal 256mb then that would be considered a Special Order and wont be covered. Likewise with Hard Drives, if you asked for a larger capacity then the same will apply.

I would also make sure that they ship the laptops from stock and do not "Build" them to order which so many manufacturers do. Components change so fast that to sell computers from a large stock of identical machines that would enable you to return them under the regs is unlikely. If they were to hold such quantities and the latest "Must have" graphics or CPU came onto the market they would loose out big time with hundreds of machines they could not sell!

Sturmey 22:44 24 Jun 03

It was a special order I paid extra for a cpu upgrade :( so regs don't apply to me then. it does say on the website they build them to order, looks like I'll have to wait for a replacement.

Thanks

Patr100 23:26 24 Jun 03

The Office of Fair Trading in their recent report on the PC market considers that the building of a PC "from a selection of standard components " is not one built to a "personal" customer specification. Despite what the seller may say, If you pursue it you may actually find that the Distance Selling Regulations can be applied in this case.
click here

Forum Editor 23:40 24 Jun 03

Which you are entitled to do under the terms of The Sale of goods act - rejection of the goods.

The computer has a serious fault which existed at the date of purchase, and you are additionally protected by The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 which came into force on 31st March this year. The regulations state that you don't have to prove that the fault existed - the seller has to prove that it didn't, and this protection applies to the six months following the date of purchase.

Sturmey 01:03 25 Jun 03

Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…