New Laptop

interzone55 22:14 PM 15 Oct 11

I've just bought a new laptop after my elderly Toshiba Satellite became more trouble than it's worth.

I found an absolute bargain, only £299 for an ASUS laptop, 15" screen, Core i3 CPU, 3gb RAM etc.

Came loaded with Windows 7 SP1, but now I'm downloading almost 600mb of Windows Updates, good job I've got a 10mbit/s unlimited connection.

Anyway, now I've got the exciting job of loading all my software back in, and my documents and stuff, should take me the rest of the weekend to get it set up...

robgf 22:26 PM 15 Oct 11

I have always wondered why manufacturers don't update their Windows image, so that it is more, or less up to date for their customers. It would make far more sense for them to do this once, than for all the customers to update individually.

Rather you, than me, reloading all your software and data, I hate doing that. Although I try to use portable versions nowadays, so I just have one partition image to transfer.

Aitchbee 12:38 PM 16 Oct 11

Don't forget to make backups, once your happy with your set up. My sister's new laptop went belly-up last week.No discs came with the package. It was an Acer Aspire 5742z. She took it back to Argos, they are now rectifying the problem.Should be ready in 14 days. (It did come with backup software - and prompts to make backups)

Woolwell 12:53 PM 16 Oct 11

alan14 - Which model and where did you get it? I know someone who wants a laptop at around that price.

interzone55 16:18 PM 16 Oct 11

Woolwell

It's this one

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/asus-a52f-ex1393s-15-6-laptop-black-10794858-pdt.html

It was £369 yesterday, with a price of £299 online, that is matched instore if you reserve it, I now notice it's been dropped to £299.97 in store

Woolwell 16:32 PM 16 Oct 11

Thank you.

Aitchbee 16:35 PM 16 Oct 11

alan14 - I am being too sensitive to your last response - when you say "it has now been 'dropped' to a lower price"...are you using subliminal suggestions.Laptops, tea-cups, plates, for that matter, that are accidently dropped on to a hard surface, usually, break to smithereens! Good luck with your new laptop.Don't drop it :O)

wiz-king 17:01 PM 16 Oct 11

I think the £xxx.97 indicate an 'end of line' product, soon to be replaced by a newer model.

interzone55 17:01 PM 16 Oct 11

AitchBEE

Nope, I just mean the price has been reduced

interzone55 17:04 PM 16 Oct 11

wiz-king

It's already been replaced, but according to the PCW staff the new model isn't selling well at all, as it's a fairly bright red.

Forum Editor 17:36 PM 16 Oct 11

Moved to Consumerwatch from Speakers Corner.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nvidia GRID 2.0 launch boosts virtualised graphics workflows

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites