New Laptop

Mort105 21:31 24 Mar 08

Hi,

I'm after a new laptop which I intend to use for software development and the occasional gaming.

I'm not sure if I should go for the Rock Pegasus 680 T8300 or the Acer Aspire 6920G.

Any opinions welcome.

GaT7 23:12 24 Mar 08

PCA Rock Pegasus 680 T8300 review
click here

If you want the best value go for a Dell - both these with a C2D 8300 CPU, 3Gb RAM, 250-320Gb hard drive & 8600M GT graphics:

Free delivery (£60 incl VAT) expires 26/03/08 midnight.

17" Dell Vostro 1700 click here = £716 - configured to this spec (only changes mentioned): Vista Ultimate / 1Yr Basic Warranty / TrueLife Screen / 8600M GT graphics

15" Dell Vostro 1500 click here = £634 - configured to this spec (only changes mentioned): Vista Ultimate / 1Yr Basic Warranty / TrueLife Screen / 320Gb Hard drive

If your budget's higher you can change the options accordingly.

Get a further reduction by going through Quidco click here. They give 5% cashback - around £26-30 on the laptops above. G

Mort105 15:51 25 Mar 08

I'll probably have a look around in May when the Acer Gemstone Blue is released. I'm probably going to go with the Acer, but if there's anything else around at the time that looks a better deal I'll consider it.

Hopefully we will see some reviews that talk about the new 9500 graphics card as can't seem to find much info on it.

Not too sure about Dell though - what kind of deal are you getting from them (you always seem to recommend Dell). Hope you're on 10%.

GaT7 16:11 25 Mar 08

".....what kind of deal are you getting from them (you always seem to recommend Dell). Hope you're on 10%."

Sadly none - how on earth would they link the sale to me anyway ;-)? They're simply the best value, & that's what I said :-), G

Mort105 16:19 25 Mar 08

Yeah the Dell's do look ok, the Acer has some nice touches like fingerprint recognition and a blue ray drive though. And it looks shiny.

I'll have to consider if these are worth paying extra for....

GaT7 16:46 25 Mar 08

"I'll have to consider if these are worth paying extra for...." - yep, that's what I'd do too.

One can configure some Dell's with a Blu-Ray drive, but the trouble is that they can become too expensive & so wouldn't recommend them.

These fingerprint recognition features are more of a gimmick than anything else. G

sampson499 17:11 25 Mar 08

Yes the Rock has had very good reviews.
But I do not bother with gaming, to me its a waste of life .
Dont buy Sony : mostly good , overprice m/cs .
Problem ,sony vaio repair cenre .
Bx297 XPpro ,1920 x 1200 pixels on 17" ,great for poor sight.
rxtorianet £585.67 repair cost ,and its engineer damaged.
Sony repair centre use ,should be avoided at all costs ,their insular/ arogent . No after repair customer support . no one in uk responsible !
Had mine back severly damaged ect, cant find who to serve legal, small claime papers too .
fine m/cS , NO REPAIR BACKUP, BE WORNED pATRICK

Mort105 21:18 25 Mar 08

o....k. Thanks for the advice Sampson, good luck with the court case.

Not sure what the meaning of life is, probably not gaming, but unless we know for sure I'm going to indulge anyways.

I'll look at aftercare support for Acer/Dell etc before buying as it's something we all seem to overlook. You can usually get a good picture from a few google searches as to who the good/bad guys are.

GaT7 21:43 25 Mar 08

Having had a good look at the Acer 6920Gs (on Play anyway click here), I must admit they do look very good indeed. The £1000 one apparently comes with a TV-tuner as well. I think you can safely drop the Dells now?

Don't forget 4% Quidco cashback as well with Play click here (that's about £36 for the £900 6920G). G

Mort105 22:41 25 Mar 08

I didn't know you could get that discount on play.com, 4% ain't much on a dvd but on a laptop should be useful.

I like the look of the £1000.00 model in the link, I'll probably go for that unless something better comes out between now and May.

The only thing I'm not sure about with the blue-ray drive I think this is read-only not a writer.

Not a major issue as I've just got an external hdd and the laptop comes with a 320 gb hdd anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…