New kit for Xmas and it doesnt work for you!

jack 08:21 13 Dec 05

This is going to happen to a lot us

New kit eagerly unpacked , quick read of the book
set it up - I wont go, try again it still wont go
Pack it up take it back.

Before you do the last bit try the following.

Last week I purchased a DVD recorder/HDD.
Set it up - it worked - played some more and it stopped working - it simply did not respond to the remote-which continued to work the TV ok [its a dual remote] after a couple of days I was ready to take it back.
So I phoned a mate and asked him to spend an hour with it, just be be sure.
When he came round, I did not regale him with my misfortune. I simply said Rom my old mate imagine you have just bought it - now set it up- So he did
and it worked just like that- What happened?-
In the eagerness of setting up and playing I had inadvertantly switched a control that set the type of player . No indicators to show - it simply no longer worked.-
A second brain and eyes can save a few head aches
j

spuds 09:50 13 Dec 05

This seems to happen in my household with remotes. Accidently catching the 'vcr' button instead of the 'tv' or 'sat' button ;o)

realist 10:08 13 Dec 05

If I'd known I'd have asked your mate to come round and have a go at setting up the Casio Exilim digicam I bought for my grandson's Xmas prez. Thought I'd get it all ready to go for him, charged the battery, got to the set-up screen but at first touch of the input buttons the ******* telefoto lens extended and then wouldn't retract. All I got thereafter on switching on was a few seconds of R2D2-type chatter, beeps and squeaks and so on, and then it would shut down, lens still extended. It's now gone back to Casio from whom all I have so far received is a deafening silence. The lesson of this story is leave your grandson to set up his own stuff!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…