New Gaming Desktop

kharzan 14:41 03 Mar 11

Hi there,

So I'm looking to get a fairly substantial gaming desktop with all the trimmings and wanted to know what people thought about who to go to and what to get.

At the moment I'm thinking about the following:

I7-2600k processor
8GB RAM
nVidia GTX 580 graphics card
24" Monitor of some sort
Blu-ray Rewriter drive
DVD Rewriter drive
64gb or 120gb SSD
2 x 1TB storage drives (raid 0)
some speakers of some sort 2.1 since I'm not putting them around the room
Keyboard and mouse of some sort
3 year full parts & labour warranty (important for me)
850W PS
Windows 7

Not sure if I'm missed anything, open to any advice. I've seen Novatech mentioned a few times but they don't do 3 year warranties, so they are out, any suggestions of parts/who to buy from?

Appreciate the help,

The Kestrel 18:33 03 Mar 11

Have you tried Cougar Extreme click here? They certainly do a three year warranty and you can spec your own machine.

chub_tor 18:37 03 Mar 11

I was also about to recommend Cougar Extreme and you can read all their FAQs click here

kharzan 12:47 04 Mar 11

Thanks have contacted Cougar Extreme to see what they will come up with, waiting to hear back. Do I need to change any of the componenets I have listed? Anyone else worth looking into for the system?

The Kestrel 16:02 04 Mar 11

The people at Cougar are very knowledgeable and don't try to sell you more than you need. I suggest you give them a ring and discuss your requirements with them and budget. They will then suggest various options with you that fit your budget.

techNick27 02:43 05 Mar 11

Not heard much about Cougar.. although I baught a gaming PC with Arbico Computer i am satisfied with their service.. had a minor problem anf they were very prompt to fix it.. you should also give them a try.. best of luck with your PC.. i see ur aiming for the best.. :)

kharzan 16:47 07 Mar 11

Will have a look at Arbico too, thanks.

Got a quote in from Cougar, not too expensive, although they don't do overclocking which is a little annoying since the I7-2600k is specifically designed to be easily over-clocked, hence the K. I'd prefer it done by professionals though, rather than myself, no matter how easy it is supposed to be!

ajm 18:03 07 Mar 11

I am also currently looking for a new system and have narrowed it to two suppliers : Chillblast and Arbico.

Most probably will be going with Chillblast and looking at their Fusion Mirage or Fusion Beachhead system.

kharzan 10:49 08 Mar 11

Hmmm Cougar unfortunately don't offer a Parts warranty for more than 12 months which is a bit annoying. There are manufacturers warranties for longer, but I'd rather someone came and picked the machine up, fixed it, and a returned it, rather than me sending one part back for 'testing' and about a month before I can get it sorted via a manufacturers warranty.

Arbico came in hugely expensive, not sure why they were a good £300 more pricey than anyone else, bit weird.

Palicomp came back with a good quote, but now I am seeing that they don't seem to have a good reputation on the forums, it's all very difficult!

mike1664 14:52 08 Mar 11

how about PC world NOT

kharzan 16:45 08 Mar 11

Going to go with Wired2Fire methinks, bought from them before and the customer service was fine. Plus they do the 3 year no worries warranty.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now