New gaming computer

mdsone 16:37 22 Aug 07

I'm an avid gamer and looking to update my computer. I have seen one I like on computersupermarket.com ( Triple Blaze 020-usys gaming system) but it only has a nvidia 7300GT 512MB PCI-E graphics card and I have been advised by a friend that I should get a better one. The system is costing £797 as it is - can anyone suggest a good graphics card that will last a while and not make me sell a kidney or another system please? Thank you

Martin

Whitehart 17:24 22 Aug 07

If you're serious about gaming you just have to go for one of the nvidia Gf8800 series of cards,

If you are wanting a reliable supplier look at Novatech who have a good reputation on the forums or my personal recommendation for Cougar-Extreme.

click here

click here

Totally-braindead 22:46 22 Aug 07

Never heard of the company, better with Novatech and the graphics card is very, very poor for an £800 computer. Look in the latest PCA magazine and see whats on offer on theirs, 8600 or 8800 cards. The 7300 GT is rubbish for games its just a bit above onboard graphics and I would think the card is probably about £30. As a comparison the cards in the PCA reviews cost about £100 to maybe £150 or 160 each and I have to ask for a computer that costs the same as what they are selling to have a much better more expensive graphics card where have they spent the money?
If they are selling a PC for nearly £800 then the rest of the system must be fantastic as they've saved a lot of money on the graphics.
If not, if the rest of the PC is a similar specification to the ones in the PCA charts then I have to say they are ripping you off and you can get a much better deal elsewhere.

Whitehart 23:34 22 Aug 07

Would this be the article in question click here If it is they are doing you no favours with the graphics card.

That case in the picture looks like the X-Cruiser that I got with my system from Cougar.

GaT7 23:34 22 Aug 07

Similar thread here: Entire PC package for £800? click here.

computersupermarket PC: If you mean this one click here, then as T-b says it's very poor graphics-wise, especially for the price. Strangely, it's one of their 'ultimate' gaming range, & most of what they have to say about it is untrue/rubbish.

All their systems (12 in total) in their Gaming/Ultimate Level Systems click here, have the same specs (OK, PC case may be different) & the same line "This machine was rated as 'excellent, innovative and cheap' by PC Advisor" - REALLY? Where?? Couldn't find it in the PCA Desktop reviews click here (gave up after 10 pages), or a site search. G

Totally-braindead 18:12 23 Aug 07

Having read the spec from Crossbow7s link its not all bad, it has a large hard drive and a large monitor, a huge amount of memory and a very powerful processor. BUT its advertised as a gaming machine. With a poor graphics card like that theres no way its a gaming machine thats total rubbish. I'm willing to bet it couldn't play any of the newer games.

As for their speel about the graphics "With a huge dedicated 512MB 7300GT PCI-E graphics card, you will be able to play any game on the market today with a level of definition and clarity that you will struggle to believe."
It makes no difference what amount of memory it has on the card its still a poor budget card. I pity anyone who buys this for gaming because its just not up to it. They would have been better dropping some of the components and getting a half decent graphics card. As it stands just now it would be fast enough for most things, very fast in fact but not games, not with that poor card. I can see they've spent the money they saved on the card on the other components which is a valid enough choice but not if you buy it to play games.

SW-880 18:51 23 Aug 07

I've ordered my machine from Cougar, can't say how it runs yet but they do a great deal. I spent a few quid more than the price you quoted and I got.......

Intel Core 2 Duo 8800 (Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz 4Mb Cache, 2GB Kingston DDR 667, 160GB SATA Hard Drive, 250GB Secondary SATA HDD, , Colors 550Watt Silent Upgrade, 640Mb Nvidia 8800GTS graphics card DX10, QC - ASUS P5N-ESLI 1333fsb-DDR800x4 SLI motherboard (Dual graphics), 18X DVD+/-RW (Samsung), Floppy Drive - SILVER, Hannstar 19, 105 UK standard Keyboard Black or Cream, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 PCI 7.1, Trust 2.1 SP-3200 Speaker Set.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…