New Evesham pc........not happy :(

_chris_ 13:15 12 Jan 03
  _chris_ 13:15 12 Jan 03

After owning my last Mesh pc for 7 years, not a happy marriage, I decided it was about time to get a new pc. Evesham micros has a shop in my city (Cambridge) so, together with that and the good press they seem to be getting here I decided I would give them my new business.

On Fri.10th Jan I collected my nice shiny new Axis 2700+GF48. Decided I'd spend saturday evening setting it up. Followed the step by step instructions, connected everything as described then powered up. So far so good. Was greeted by the welcome to Microsoft Windows screen. clicked next to go to the EULA, accepted that. Next step should have been to enter the product key for XP but that screen never appeared. Instead it was straight into the whats your computers name screen/internet connectivity/windows activation, to which i said no because I didnt want to clutter it up with my old dial up software as Im in the process of arranging cable with NTL. Lastly it asked me who the main users would be so i entered details there too.

After doing all that Windows appeared for the first time, all four user names nicely displayed. I clicked my username and arrived at my desktop whereupon i was met by an odd site, the screen seemed to be full of tiny little black marks about 1mm thick and 4mm long running horizontal across the screen. I thought , ok maybe its meant to be like that so I changed from the Evesham wallpaper to another one. Same problem.

Hmmmm, ok lets try and play a CD while its on , I'd like to see what this Inspire 5300 system can do. In goes a Foo Fighters CD with extra dvd clips. Sound was fine but the video in media player was hopeless, everything seemed to be marred with what I can only describe as a motion blur. Things seem to be pointing to a graphics card problem (MSI Ti-4800se). Now , I'm no computer geek lemme tell you but I'm thinking well if its a graphics problem wouldnt it affect any other panes and the taskbar etc too ? Media player looked fine in itself just the video it contained was unwatchable.

Time for a reboot then. I clicked to restart my computer but I wasnt met by the same screen I first saw originally. Now I see a blue screen, a dark blue bar on top and bottom, light blue in the middle with welcome to windows XP. The four usernames I set up are not visible so cannot get to a desktop and black lines are visible once again in patches on the screen, So seems a reboot didnt cure the graphics problem. From that screen I have nowhere to go thers no taskbar/start button obviously so no way of switching off or rebooting short of unplugging the whole thing, ctrl alt del does nothing either. I tried several resets from the tower case but same thing happened everytime so I finally unplugged and went to bed rather miffed.

Its now Sunday and Evesham support line isnt manned on a Sunday so I'm thoroughly browned off as you can imagine. Has this happened to anyone else, can anyone offer any help or ideas ? I hear that Evesham Micros has a special customer support thread here, what is it ?

Regards
Chris

spartan 13:40 12 Jan 03
  powerless 14:25 12 Jan 03
  spartan 14:52 12 Jan 03

how do you do that, post click here, and if by magic you go to the right place.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:19 12 Jan 03

Just type in the address of the site and when you post it will be transformed into a 'click here'.

G

Stridor 23:40 12 Jan 03

Please don't tell me Evesham is a nightmare.

I've had no end of trouble trying to get a refund on a duff computer I bought in November from another company, and was going to try Evesham afterwards....

Does any one know of a decent, reliable computer company that gives great aftercare???

beeuuem 00:12 13 Jan 03

As ever, opinions vary click here
No manufacturer is perfect and,on the whole, Evesham seem to perform better than most

Evesham Support 09:35 13 Jan 03

We have preliminarily scheduled an engineers visit for tomorrow to investigate this problem. However as yet we have been unable to contact the customer by telephone to confirm this appointment.

_chris_ - on the off chance that you are not able to check your home e-mail but you are reading this forum. Please e-mail [email protected] confirming a contact phone number in order that we may arrange for the engineer to visit you.

It would appear that the problem is caused by the video card and it is most likely that the card has either failed or become dislodged whilst in transit.

With regard to not having to enter the Product Key for Windows XP, this is by design as our machines are supplied pre-activated.

Kind Regards

Customer Support

Evesham Technology

_chris_ 17:10 13 Jan 03

Just to keep people up to date here, I have now been in contact with customer support. As was suspected I'm unable to check my mail from work so by the time I got home at 4.30pm and contacted Evesham I was told it was too late for a technician to visit the next day but was asked to leave my home and work telephone number and if I didn't recieve conformation of a visit by close of business today then I'd recieve one at work to morrow.
So far so good Evesham on your efforts to rectify my problem, keep up the good work.

@Stridor....Please don't get the wrong idea here, no ones saying Evesham is a nightmare. My post merely refers to an 'out of the box' problem. Yes in a perfect world everything would work perfectly on start up, but I can understand that it may be easy for a card or cable to become dislodged during 'vigorous' handling.
So far Evesham has responded well. Whether it turns INTO a nightmare ?......I sincerely hope not but rest assured you will all know what happens whether good or bad. I'd like to be posting a glowing report for Evesham's technical support in due course.

Once again, thank you for you attention so far Evesham

Chris

_chris_ 17:13 14 Jan 03

No call by close of business on Monday from Evesham and no call at work the following day but later that day my wife gets a call at home at 4pm to say they would try and get a technician out on Thursday ? Huh........what happened to the Wednesday visit ???

I believe Evesham sent me mail today but apparently NTL have had trouble with their servers and people arent receiving mail. In any case they know I can't check my mail during work hours so not very useful anyway.

Thats one in the minus column for you Evesham !

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…