New ebay user

VNAM75 14:28 31 Jan 08

I'm trying to sell something on ebay and created an account. I get to the payment stage where I opt to pay the insertion fee by credit card.

It asks me for a landline number so they can call me to verify my card but I only have a mobile which they don't accept. Is there any way around this or do I need to be somewhere where I have access to a landline phone?

I presume this is just a once off verification and not for everytime I need to make payment?

€dstowe 15:31 31 Jan 08

It is a one off verification - just to make sure you are who you say you are.

You will have to do something similar when you open a PayPal account as well.

All very painless!

VNAM75 15:34 31 Jan 08

Thanks €dstowe. Twice is not too bad. Quite impressed by the site.

When selling is it OK to put in your mobile number in the description?

xania 15:37 31 Jan 08

No!!! There is a provided facility for potential purchasers to email you with any questions securely, so they don't even know your email address.

VNAM75 16:15 31 Jan 08

I thought not because someone could just call you and arrange a private sale and therefore you avoid paying the final selling fee. But there didn't appear to be anything stopping me from putting in my mobile no. though.

Blackhat 18:20 31 Jan 08

I assume from what you have stated that this is your first time selling on ebay, if so here is some basic advice from an experienced ebayer.

Most important, if you wish it to be a long term thing then you need to build up positive feedback score, abide by all rules and regs to avoid any negative/neutral feedback.

On your ebay home page, top right; you will see a box called ‘Community’. Click on that and scroll down to ‘Education’, go to ebay explained and spend a little time there. There are also the ‘Help’ pages but they are more for specific problems.

Don’t give out personal information, don’t expect your first few sales to be brilliant, it takes experience to get things right. Research anything you wish to sell on ebay first to see if it sells and how it sells. Don’t give up if it doesn’t go well to start with, that’s the learning curve. Ebay is so well subscribed that it can take time to get things running smoothly against experienced competition.

If this is just a one off sale for you then I wish you the best of luck.

spuds 19:32 31 Jan 08

I would suggest that you look up the rules and regulations on how eBay works, if you intend to use their service long term. One thing that eBay do not like, is buyers and sellers conducting private sales. eBay do have a team of people, who monitor the service, and how people use it.

VNAM75 19:52 31 Jan 08

Thanks for the advice. I won't break any rules intentionally and will read the information, but I would have thought it be stated clearly that no personal contact numbers are allowed in the sales description. Other than this issue, I have been impressed with the site and registration process.

I intend to be a long term user as a seller and buyer but I only started today.

€dstowe 10:47 01 Feb 08

The wife of one of my artists runs an eBay business and makes £400-£500 a week from it by buying in bulk, repacking and selling in singles. They have a double garage!!!!!

VNAM75 19:07 05 Feb 08

I need to activate my sellers account. When I get to the page, I have to prepare something to sell before I can validate my credit card through paypal. But the item is not ready yet.

Is there a section where I can go directly to verify my card and what are the opening hours for this, because they call you straight back. I need to be at another house because I don't have a landline.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5