New DVDs may not play in your DVD player

Widows Son 10:07 18 Feb 05

click here

New "Ripguard" anti-piracy protection to be introduced later this year will only work with "nearly all" current DVD players. They don't say if that means 60% or 99.9%

So you could be forced either to buy a new DVD player or use your new £20 DVD as a frisbee!

ayrmail 10:26 18 Feb 05

"RipGuard is designed to... reduce DVD ripping and the resulting supply of illegal peer to peer,"
You will still be able use your dvd player with legal dvd's.
If it helps prevent fraud all well and good.

Widows Son 10:52 18 Feb 05

And by Macrovision's own admission will cause problems with some (we don't know how many) existing DVD players.

This is the major gripe I would have - If I pay £20ish for a DVD I expect it to play on my dvd player.

Another issue would apply definitely in the US (not sure of UK legal position) where it is legal to make a backup copy of a DVD which you own for purely backup purposes. DVDs are easily damaged, and if you accept the movie industries argument that you are actually paying for a licence and not the physical dvd, you can see the argument for backing up.

ayrmail 11:21 18 Feb 05

Have looked at there web site and the artical on the BBC's web site and don't see a admission that dvds will not run on some players.
You will not be able to make a copy unless you have one of the programs that it dosent work with.

TomJerry 11:59 18 Feb 05

it will cause trouble for normal cusumers

for those few who do copies, this is just another useless measure because it was reported the cracking software already in net even the DVDs with this protection have not been relased yet

Widows Son 12:51 18 Feb 05

BBC site link as in origional posting 4th paragraph

"Macrovision said the new technology will work in "nearly all" current DVD players when applied to the discs, but it did not specify how many machines could have a problem with RipGuard."

€dstowe 13:27 18 Feb 05

If your DVD doesn't play in your machine when other DVD discs do play, I would class it as faulty and I would then demand a refund.

As TomJerry says, a hack to overcome this will be available as quickly as the discs are, judging by past events.

Stuartli 15:38 18 Feb 05

Further to €dstowe's comment, a similar thing happened with a copyright protection system (Copy Control) on some music companies' audio CDs about 18 months ago, which caused difficulties with playing them on CD-ROM drives.

Record companies were eventually persuaded to accept that such CDs were not fit for their purpose and agreed to swap them for standard examples.

Ironically, I remember pointing out at the time that anybody who actually did wish to make a copy could do so quite easily (although I did not, for obvious reasons, reveal the method).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…