New digital camera advice please

joelmb 03:35 27 Feb 04

I'm in the market for a new digital camera to replace my old Agfa E-photo 780 - great in its day but as a less than 1mega pixel camera is now severely out of date. It did however have a swivelling lcd, meaning i could hold the camera above head height for crowded situations and still see what I was shooting.

I'm looking for something around £200 to £300 mark. Has to be 3x optical zoom or more, 3 mega pixel or more, and take excellent quality images (of course!) The nearest I've seen is the Nikon Coolpix SQ. Can anyone recommend anything else?

aramis 06:20 27 Feb 04

Look at the Canon A80.It has a swivelling lcd,14 shooting modes, 4mpx , 3 times optical zoom ,very good reviews click here . Web price about £270.

byfordr 07:41 27 Feb 04

Olympus C-50 zoom under £250 Olympus C-50 Digital Camera 5MP 3x Optical zoom, short video without sound. Have a try of a few cameras before you buy.

R

rickf 08:17 27 Feb 04

Fuji S3000 at ebuyer.co.uk for just over £200

anchor 08:40 27 Feb 04

I agree with aramis; the Canon A80 would be an excellent camera for you. Go into Jessops, (if you have one near you), and take a look at it.

Jessops will price match any UK based web camera supplier, provided it is stock. I saved almost a £100 in last summer on my Canon S50, quoting the prices from cameras2u. I took a print-out with me, and a simple telephone call was all it needed; price £257.65, and in stock: (this was the web supplier I quoted)

click here

Read the full review here:

click here

Makers site here:

click here

Stuartli 08:49 27 Feb 04
  tomleady 09:46 27 Feb 04

i picked up this bad boy for £240 from Dixons. its great, and the picture is excellent with upto 6million pixel thingys.

its small and really easy to use as well.

anchor 13:43 27 Feb 04

Re: your post;

Who makes Centon cameras?. Never heard of them; are they any good?. How do they compare with the big names in digital photography.

As we all know, high pixel numbers are only a part of the story.

joelmb 13:46 27 Feb 04

i personally wouldnt touch unknown brands when it comes to digital cameras as there's so much internal technology at stake eg quality and type of the ccd/cmos chip. but thats just me. i have seen good results having saif that with a benq model. but im sticking with the canon a80 i think, sounds the best option. thanks for those who posted, even the ones who suggested non swivelling lcd cameras! ;)

961 14:50 27 Feb 04

Stuartli

Centon cameras are made for Jessops as an own brand model

They are good value and not rubbish by any means

However, looking at digital cameras now, I would say that you should always go for lens quality first

If you don't capture the quality of shot with a good lens, then whatever you do after that you are wasting your time

I have a Canon. Other folk have a Nikon, or perhaps an Olympus. Read the reviews and pick which you think will suit you

Perhaps I should say that I hardly ever take a picture by looking at the screen. They are always taken using the optical viewfinder. Apart from problems in bright sunlight, screens are for looking at what you have taken, not for taking the picture

You need a good lens, first, second, and third

Remember too, that Jessops will price match

anchor 17:02 27 Feb 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…