New Dell p.c.

Kingfisher 14:00 24 Feb 03

Can anybody advise me please, I am about to place an order for a new Dell p.c. I have asked for a dvd rewriter and a cd rewriter, the salesman has suggested that a better way to go would be to have a dvd rom drive and a dvd rewriter and not have a cd drive at all are there any drawbacks to doing it this way i.e. speed incompatability etc,My knowledge of rewriter drives is limited and I probably will not be doing a great deal of burning at the moment.I just want to future proof the p.c. as much as I can.
Many Thanks

TBH1 14:07 24 Feb 03

my knowledge is limited too but I do know DVD writers can actually write CD's.

Sir Radfordin™ 14:20 24 Feb 03

Just trying to recal something that was in a review of such systems...think it was in Personal Computer Weekly.

They seemed to suggest that it would be best to have a DVD Rewriter on one drive (which will do CDs as well but slowely) and then to have a DVD/CDRW combo device on the other IDE channel.

I wouldn't go for just the DVD writer, but to have a CDRW writer as well for speed.

Shinda 15:03 24 Feb 03

Do not get PC from Dell.Read threads on Dell about customer service & delay on getting pc.

max-headroom 20:17 24 Feb 03

I'm, sorry, but Shinda, if Kingfisher followed that advice, then he/she would probably not buy anything from any company active in the UK market.

I ordered a Dell inspiron (a while ago), got it within 9 days of the machine going into production, and it was a non-standard config (needed a finnish/swedish keyboard).

If ordering from dell, I strongly reccommend ordering over the phone, because then you have a commission driven salesperson who wants that computer to get to you even more than you do (they don't earn any commission until the machine leaves the factory).

Also, get the salesperson's direct dial phone number, and email address.

« Ravin » 20:45 24 Feb 03

go with dell they are fantastic! wouldn't it be better to hold off buying a dvd rewriter since there are so many standards around now that the one you get might not support the other format?

carver 22:09 24 Feb 03

Kingfisher
Be careful which DVD rewriter you go for or you could find yourself with the equivalent of an eight track cartridge in 12 months time

accord 00:02 25 Feb 03

ravin.

Sony do a dual standard DVD writer, bet dell dont spec that tho

smelly squirrel 18:16 26 Feb 03

Be careful buying from Dell, especially if includes a flat panel monitor. If, like me, you get one with dead pixels (bright green spots) they will quote industry standards and not refund or replace. You will end up with a horrible pc. I would avoid them. Only bought mine this Monday and having huge problems with their customer service. Also check the configuration and dont expect it to arrive correct despite checking it through with them. I did not receive the correct spec.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…