New computer quandry.

sprengolet 10:47 08 Jan 06

My computer is due to be changed, but I am very unsure of whether to buy one with WIndows XP installed or wait until later in the year when I understand Vista will be launched. I think I read that Windows XP can be upgraded to Vista - can anyone reaffirm this,
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

amonra 10:55 08 Jan 06

You are ALWAYS going to play catch-up no matter when you buy a new computer. Vista will come in this year (so they promise) and soon after M$ will be upgrading, patching and generally modifying for months. Bite the bullet and buy XP, it's not all bad.

Belatucadrus 11:08 08 Jan 06

Depends why you are changing, if your current PC is on ts last legs then waiting is probably pointless as XP remains a stable and usable OS keeping millions of PCs running quite happily. If however your changing because you want to then hanging on a little longer for the "next big thing" may be an idea.

961 11:15 08 Jan 06

Vista is unlikely before late in the year if not early next

Then you should really allow 6 months min for the bugs that "normal" users find to be ironed out

I'd be inclined to wait until middle/late 2007 before buying a computer with Vista. If you want to buy before then, stick with xp

spuds 12:40 08 Jan 06

Like all new operating systems, there a bound to be some problems on initial introduction. So on that basis, I would use XP or your present programme and wait for the 'beta' results of Vista or Longhorn, whatever Microsoft decides the names going to be.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…