New Computer- Help!

Katstar 16:47 07 Mar 05

Please help! I am buying a new computer with a £1000-1200 budget (falling in between the pc advisor top 10 charts) and need advice. I am no computer expert, but have narrowed it down to two. One is an Advent (courtesy of pcworld), and the other is a Matrix premier plus from Mesh. The Advent has a Pentium 4 550 Processor(3.4GHz clock-speed), 1GB memory and 400GB hard drive; whilst the Mesh Matrix has AMD Athlon 64 3400+ processor, 1GB memory and 300GB hard drive. Having only just a read a lot of literature recently, I don't know anything about reputation, etc. Is Advent a decent make (it seems suspicious only the Dixon group stock it), and what should I be watching out for with Mesh? Any comments re. Warranties would also be appreciated. Thank you!

paddy75 16:57 07 Mar 05

Katstar,do a search here on the forum and you will find plenty of answers,Advent is DSG home brand thats why PC World, Curry's and Dixon's are the only ones to stock it.Just type Mesh and after that Advent into the search box.Paddy

961 17:06 07 Mar 05

My family have owned several Advent computers. They have all worked out of the box and some are still in use years later

Buying from PCWorld is usually a painless experience and you get to take the computer home carefully with no delivery charge (often up to £50 elsewhere) and no damage from the courier

You can generally opt for a different monitor with price adjustment if you fancy something other than the one specified

Remember to pay by credit card and not to pay extra for any additional warranty. If it is going to go wrong it will happen within the standard 12 month warranty

My own view is that you should avoid Norton Anti Virus which may also be offered

You need to buy a surge protector for the mains plug. You don't need to pay more than £20. Get one which also protects the telephone line and, if you have a tv card, the co-ax tv line

Mesh build good computers but their after sales service can be described as, well, patchy

TomJerry 17:22 07 Mar 05

you do not need to spend that much, £800-£1000 is enough, look a lot of good offers in PCWorld, go down there to have a look, you will be suprised what new copmuter look like, look Sony and Phlips

if you are a crazy gamer, you need to have one with really good graphics

TomJerry 17:23 07 Mar 05

you do not need to spend that much, £800-£1000 is enough, look a lot of good offers in PCWorld, go down there to have a look, you will be suprised what new copmuter look like, look Sony and Phlips

if you are a crazy gamer, you need to have one with really good graphics

Starfox 17:34 07 Mar 05

As TomJerry says if you are a gamer the graphics card is most important,do you know what graphics are installed in either machine?

Also if you are into gaming don't get integrated graphics,you need a decent graphics card.

Katstar 00:27 08 Mar 05

Thank you so much- you've all been really helpful!

Starfox 00:39 08 Mar 05

Glad we could help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…