New comp advice

Tolks 14:40 02 Feb 07

I was looking to buy this setup from cyberpowersystem.co.uk for approx £2000, I'll need this comp for work using and gaming and admittedly know relatively little about computer hardware. I was wondering what changes people would make given the options available at cyberpowersystem, or if they know of a cheaper reliable vendor (uk):

Case: CoolerMaster Praetorian 732 RC-732 Aluminum Tower 420W Case (Silver Color)

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6700 CPU @ 2.66GHz 1066FSB 2x2MB L2 Cache EM64T

Motherboard: Asus P5N-SLI nForce 570 SLI Chipset LGA775 Supports Core 2 Duo CPU FSB1066 DDR2/800 Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, IEEE1394&7.1Audio

Memory: (Req.DDR2 MainBoard)2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory (Corsair XMS2 Xtreme Memory w/ Heat Spreader)

Video Card: NEW!!! NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 16X PCI Express Video Card

Monitor & LCD: ViewSonic VX2025WM 20.1& quot; Wide Screen Color TFT Active Matrix LCD Display

Hard Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives (400GB (200GBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

Optical Drive: SONY DUAL FORMAT 18X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (SILVER COLOR)

Optical Drive 2: SONY 16X DVD-ROM (SILVER COLOR)

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Main areas i'm not sure about:
a) Motherboard, the area i know least about. Is my choice a good choice?
b) I understand the 8800 is one of two dx10 cards out now, is it a good card or would it be worth downgrading and then upgrading later when dx10 hardware is more developed?
c) The shelf life of the E6700, will this be ok for a few years or is it worth lowering some other specs and getting a new quadcore / the extreme version.
d) The difference between the E6700 and E6600, is it worth the extra £100?

Quite a read i know but thanks for the help.

Totally-braindead 16:07 02 Feb 07

Never dealt with the company so can't help you there. Its a very powerful computer, pretty much top of the range. Whatever you buy now will be replaced with something faster in a few months so its up to you regading this.
All the parts I can see are good with one exception I don't like the power supply, I personally would prefer a bit more something like a 500 watt branded power supply for a high end system like this, especially as you might add more bits on later. Don't know about the motherboard but I have an ASUS AMD motherboard and ASUS boards are very good in general.
Can't help with the processor either as I know more about AMD ones but Dual Core Duo 2 seems to be highly regarded and extremely fast.
I would recommend getting a copy of Acronis for backup and a large external hard drive as well for backups.
In short the spec of that PC should do you for years to come.

Tolks 17:50 02 Feb 07

Yea the power supply would be a 700-750 (i cant remember which) replacing the one that comes with the case, but it didnt show up on specs when i copied and pasted.
Thanks for the advice though!
Anyone else got opinions?

Pamy 18:45 02 Feb 07

I would asume that it will come with one of the "Vista" operating systems installed, but I would check that the graphics card is able to run more than just the "Vista Basic"

Kate B 19:44 02 Feb 07

Pamy, that graphics card will eat anything put in its path ;-)

I'm jealous, that looks like a smashing computer. I'd make one observation - if you want raw speed, is there an option to upgrade to faster hard drives, such as a couple of Raptors that spin at 10,000rpm?

Totally-braindead 20:02 02 Feb 07

Kate B is right there its a £400 graphics card. Did think about Raptors myself but they are a bit too pricey and I was concerned about the noise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced