New Buyer - AMD or Intel Pentium ?

BigJohnM 19:07 19 Feb 04

Am new buyer and looking to purchase my first PC for the following : Manage Digital Photos, Download Music (CD & MP3), Download DVD, Administrate a sports club website and manage personal admin.

I am not a big gamer but might perhaps look into it when I get the PC.

I have decided to buy from one of the smaller independednts (Carrera / Mesh / Nethighstreet) depending on the best deal and following advice from the magazine (and forum) but I am unsure at to whether to go for Pentium or Athlon. The latter seems to be better for digital media ? and the intel processor for Windows ? As I will be using both I have no idea how to choose.

My second dilemma is on what kind of power I need to get - this is what I have guestimated at :

AMD Athlon 64 3000 / Pentium 4 3.0Ghz with HT
80GB Hard Drive
512K Memory at 3200???
Sony DVD R+/R- writer
52 Speed CD Burner

My budget is roughly £800. I would appreciate it if someone offer me some basic advice - I will also put this on the help room forum?

Thanks in advance!

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:17 19 Feb 04

There are a lot of threads on 'AMD vs Athlon and to precis...there is no noticeable difference. 64 bit processing is only useful if you are running a huge network and it is doubtful if HT will make noticeable difference for what you need the computer for. I would go for the cheaper processor and put the price difference towards an external HD.

wags 13:18 20 Feb 04

Agree with GANDALF <|:-)>. Infact Athlon 2500, 2600 and 2800 processors seem very good value, esp. now the 64bit CPU has been released.Both the specs you have highlighted will be very powerful.

I would personally go for say an AthlonXP 2800+ and maybe upgrade RAM to 1,024mb,with a 120gig HD, which you will find useful for photo editing (This is the spec that I have and it really motors through high resolution multiple photo editing !). It is also good for gaming (another of my own addictions), if that takes your fancy in the future (with a reasonable graphics card of course).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…