New Build Dillema

jaycup 14:01 28 Aug 07

I am about to build a PC for the first time and have chosen the following spec.
CPU - Intel E6750 ; Motherboard - MSI P35 Neo-FR;
Memory - Corsair 2 x 1012 mb.; Graphics - Sapphire Radeon 1650Pro. ; Hard Drive - Samsung 320Gb.
Case - Akasa Zen ; PSU - Atec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500PGB 500 Watt.

I am not a 'gamer but I am into 'graphics and video and music and TV on line. I run some heavyweight programs such as Photoshop C3.

My dillema is, could i get away with a cheaper CPU e.g., Intel E4440 which has a good reputation for overclocking if required. This would save about £50. which could be used elsewhere.

All advice most welcome as well as comments on my proposed system.

techie4me 14:06 28 Aug 07

I sometimes use up to about 60% of the budget on Motherboard, CPU & RAM.
Are you having an AGP or PCI-E Graphics Card?
Who are you buying parts through?

Take a look click here

jaycup 15:15 28 Aug 07

PCI-E Graphics Card and am intending to buy from Scan
At the moment I would say that the 60% ration you mention applies.
Did try the Novatech site you suggest but they are a bit limited in the range they carry.

GaT7 18:29 28 Aug 07

I'm sure you can get away with a cheaper CPU, especially if it's a C2D & you're going to overclock it. May I suggest the Hexus forum & this thread click here in particular if you go down this route.

Also, note that some motherboards OC better than others & you may have to change the one you've chosen to something else more suitable. As you've gone for a 1333Mhz CPU, a good OC'able P35/iP35 motherboard may be the ideal choice - like this Abit IP-35 click here or Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P iP35 click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced