New build advice required

Scorpion Bay 21:23 07 Dec 07

I am looking to build my own desktop PC in the near future. I have already decided on the Radeon HD 2900 XT graphics card, but could anyone out there give me some advice on which motherboard and processor to use?

I would want them to be as powerful as possible, as I am in the fortunate position of not having to worry about the cost. Eventually I will use the PC for everything; gaming (online and offline), movies, music, the works.

Devil Fish 22:21 07 Dec 07

if you want high end gaming then the nvidia 8800 series is the card to go for if cost isn't an issue
the ultra is the daddy or the gtx a fine second both will trounce the 2900xt

board wise i would be looking for some thing that can handle core 2 duo and quad core as a future upgrade along with DDR 3 capability again for future upgrade

citadel 23:08 07 Dec 07

3800 series cards are out that are better than 2900. asus x38 motherboard, several to pick from. these are ready for penryn and future cpu's as well as current duo and quad.

Devil Fish 23:19 07 Dec 07

help room thread

click here

Gamer555 22:45 09 Dec 07

Aussuming your on a budget, go for the Asus P5K SE. It's a cracking motherboard at a very reasonable price!

click here

As for the processor, again if you don't want to spend much money, go for the Pentium Dual Core E2140. It's very cheap and you can overclock it like nothing else! It would easily run at 3.0ghz on air cooling.

click here

For a shade over £100, you have got yourself a brilliant set-up!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced