New BT phone line

Gary McBarry 15:04 11 Mar 05

I'm going to have a new PC soon. The problem is, that I want my PC in a room which does not have a phone socket.
Do I need to have a new phone line or could I just have a new socket installed?
How much would these things cost?
How can I get this done?

Sorry if these questions are simple, but I'm only online at work, and have never had the 'net at home. Thanks in advance!

Jackcoms 15:31 11 Mar 05

Run an extension cable from the phone socket nearest to the room that your PC will be in.

I use this set up. The extension plugs in to the nearest phone socket. You then plug the phone back into the socket on that end of the extension.

My extension cable then runs for about 25 feet to where my PC is.

The only DIY part was screwing the socket next to the PC into the wall and wiring the end of the extension cable into that socket (4 wires if I remember correctly).

To tidy the whole thing up the cable is clipped along the skirting board and around a door frame.

Try Dixons, Currys, PC World etc.

Stuartli 16:10 11 Mar 05

Even easier is to buy a suitable length telephone extension lead (5, 10, 15, 20 metres etc as necessary) which will cost from around £2.99 upwards depending on length, plus a double phone adapter. This saves any rewiring being needed, which can be tricky if unfamiliar with the phone network wiring.

The adapter, with the main phone's cable and the extension lead plugs inserted, goes into the master phone socket; you can then route the extension lead under the carpet or edge of the skirting board to the PC system.

You may then also need an RJ11 to BT plug extension if one is not provided - the small RJ11 plug is for the modem and the BT plug goes into the extension lead connecton.

In place of the phone adapter, I use a similarly shaped privacy adapter. This ensures that if anyone is using the modem picking up the phone will not break the connection and vice-versa.

In addition, if you have extension phones the privacy adapter prevents unwanted listening in to a call - one phone has to be put down and another picked up to switch the callers.

Gary McBarry 16:32 11 Mar 05

Thanks for the advice, but I don't think an extension cable will be a practical solution, due to the layout of my house and where the existing sockets are located. Any other suggestions?

961 18:02 11 Mar 05

BT will wire an additional socket for you, price depending on work involved. Ask them for a quote. I would guess between £40 and £100

Or do it yourself as indicated above, probably between £10 and £50

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…