New base, old monitor?

graham 19:58 01 Jan 03
  graham 19:58 01 Jan 03

A friend is looking to buy a new base unit, asking if any monitor will work with any base unit.

rickf 20:09 01 Jan 03

Should do is the short answer.

Stuartli 20:19 01 Jan 03

If the monitor is an older one it may not be capable of using the maximum resolution and refresh rates of a modern graphics card.

By the way, Scan of Bolton (click here) does base units by MSI and Asus of various specifications at very keen prices, especially when they become available on its TodayOnly page.

Stuartli 20:21 01 Jan 03

I should point out that a refresh rate of 85Mhz guarantees flicker free viewing for 98-99 per cent of the population at any resolution.

colg 18:48 04 Jan 03

So where else can you get a good base unit without having to buy a bundle?

tigger2406 19:41 04 Jan 03

Though I hate to say it, sometimes Dixons and PCW do ex-display box-only 'manager's specials' in-store... depends what sort of spec you're looking for....

mikef™ 20:03 04 Jan 03

tigger2406 is almost right, they will knock off the monitor price from any bundle, that's exactly what I did last year for this computer I'm using now when my old one died with a perfectly good monitor. The only thing you have to do is ask because if you don't they sure won't tell you.

Also I've seen a fair few ads in PCA for base units only.

Joe McG 20:11 04 Jan 03

graham, there's a few here at reasonable prices.

click here

PSF 21:59 04 Jan 03

Have a look at click here there is a wide range of base units.

spuds 23:20 04 Jan 03

For a good range of base units and various bundled kits, I use to check the weekly MicroMart magazine, which usually reaches the newstands on Thursdays.Perhaps worth browsing there.As others have stated, the monitor should be okay, providing it is not an 'aged' model.But new monitors, now seem to be of very high specification and low competative price, mostly with 3 year swop-out warranties.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…