New all in one printer suggestions

john bunyan 19:22 11 Oct 14
Answered

I have a Canon MP 640 which I like and use for all printing - good as a photo printer, which I need. Today it malfunctioned with a "Error B22 - contact your service centre". I Googled for suggestions and tried all of them - in particular cleaning the print head etc etc, all to no avail. Maybe the print head circuit is damaged and a new one is about £50. The existing machine has a top paper feed - which I prefer, plus a bottom cassette. I need to replace it quickly and can get a Canon MG5450 or MG 6460 for £75 and £89 respectively. The 6450 is at Staples who will exchange my stock of inks (I keep 3 of each of 5!). I think these only have a bottom cassette, but I assume they print multi pages? Any views?

I am loathe to change to another brand.

lotvic 19:52 11 Oct 14

As I'm also looking for a new printer I've been looking at the PCPRO reviews for both of those, good write-up comparison of features ClickHere for the MG6450 and it has link to same for MG 5450. Might help you to decide.

john bunyan 20:01 11 Oct 14

lotvic

Thanks; they both seem OK and I need one quickly so will probably get the MG 6450 at Staples (£84.99) as they will swap my spare MP 650 cartridges. I do not think either has a top paper feed, as my existing MP 640 has.

lotvic 22:55 11 Oct 14

Yes, seems they only have bottom paper tray.

I'm going to browse a few more printers specs on click here

Sapins 19:53 12 Oct 14

There is a chance if it's similar to Epsons that the "counter" has reached its limit, I just turned my RX620 off and held down the stop and back and white buttons while I turned it back on, worked a treat.

john bunyan 09:40 13 Oct 14

Sapins

My previous machine did something like that but the message was "Waste ink pads full". It was too difficult to take apart so I followed Dr Google's advice to reset the counter. A few weeks later a small ink puddle appeared on the counter , staining it with waste ink. Silly designs on these machines, having no external, empty able waste tank - built in obsolescence.. I am thinking of buying a new print head at £65 - because I like the top paper feed and if it works will extend the life of my MP640 . If not I will have wasted it! Annoying that the machines I like only have bottom feed these days.

Woolwell 13:09 13 Oct 14

I'm an Epson fan.

wee eddie 14:38 13 Oct 14

Have you visited YouTube and entered the name of your Printer into the Search box.

You might be surprised at what emerges

john bunyan 17:01 13 Oct 14

As I need a printer in a hurry and have got used to Canon (previously used Epson) I have found that a replacement print head for my 4/5 year old MP640 would cost £ 65 with only an 80% chance of working, and at the age it is I suspect the "Waste ink full" is due soon. As I want the paper Auto feed I have bitten the bullet and ordered a Canon MX 925 at £110 from Currys, available tomorrow in store. I spoke to Canon on the phone; this has 5 ink tanks and is like the MG 6450 in terms of photo printing but also has Automatic paper feed and Fax facilities - plus all the usual wireless etc. I thought it worth the extra £11 compared with the MG 6450 at Staples. My local Cartridge world and Staples have agreed to swap my unopened Ink cartridges for the new ones. It got a good review in PCA. Need it now so have no time for more homework. Should I uninstall software for my MP640 before installing new one, I wonder.

Thanks for all the inputs!

john bunyan 17:03 13 Oct 14

wee eddie

I tried all the "solutions" on You tube and Google. Spent hours on it; if I were to value my time, spent far more than a new machine!

Border View 17:06 13 Oct 14

I have the Canon MX925. Although it has two bottom trays (not a top feeder) Photopaper goes in one tray and A4 ordinary paper in the other. I have found it very good. Always liked Canon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…