New all in one printer

exdragon 16:12 PM 14 Jun 12
Answered

Hi - having spent most of the day trying to get my Epson SX600FW to scan more than two pages into Paperport, I'm ready to call it a day.

Does anyone have any recommendations for an all in one? Canon and Kodak don't get the best write ups, and although the SX600 has been excellent, I wouldn't mind trying something else. Especially as it won't print yellow, as I didn't remove the tape from the cartridge last time I installed it.

I don't need it for photographs etc as I have the Epson R2880.

Of course, someone may have the answer to my scanning problem, with a bit of luck. The print function is fine, it's just the scanning side of things, and as I scan every scrap of paper into Paperport, it's a pretty essential tool.

chub_tor 18:13 PM 14 Jun 12

How about this HP OfficeJet

exdragon 18:48 PM 14 Jun 12

Thanks - I'll add it to the think list! It's a better price than a new SX600, which is £149. I got it half price, so it was a bargain.

interzone55 22:26 PM 14 Jun 12

Try the SX535WD, I've got one and it's excellent

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/epson-stylus-sx535wd-wireless-all-in-one-inkjet-printer-11825609-pdt.html

I've had HP & Kodak for the last few years and I've been repeatedly disappointed and frustrated by them

tigertop2 17:50 PM 15 Jun 12

I see that the Kodak Hero 5.1 gets repeated good reports, is cheap to run, has duplex and wireless capability and is available for about £70, Local friends bought one and swear by it

john bunyan 19:06 PM 15 Jun 12

A bit dearer but I find Canon very good for photo printing. There are cheaper ones on their website. Canon MG6250

morddwyd 20:28 PM 15 Jun 12

Got rid of HP and Brother and just got an Epson (for A3 and ADF, plus a Canon for photos)!

I suppose you have to go with what you find.

HP produce some fine printers, but the software is rubbish. That's why I dumped the eventually, after more than ten years and four printers.

Just a small clutch at a straw for your scanning problem.

Many all in ones are flaky when scanning wirelessly.

If you haven't tried it hard wired give it a whirl.

exdragon 21:50 PM 15 Jun 12

Thanks for the suggestions. A must-have is an ADF, which rules out some models. I've just got the BX305FW from Argos (£60) but one of the reviews says you can't scan diretly from the printer to the scanner. Don't quite understand this, but as that's what I want to do, I think it will be going back tomorrow without opening the box!

As far scanning goes, it's connected by a cable as it's about a foot away from the computer. The thing is that I'm not sure if it's a printer problem or a PaperPort one.

morddwyd 06:55 AM 16 Jun 12

Never used Paperport, though I've had it bundled.

I usually scan straight into Word, using "Insert image from scanner".

This presupposes you have Word of course, and is expensive on storage space, but I have an big old redundant hard drive in an external case just for docs.

exdragon 07:48 AM 16 Jun 12

I must confess to loving PaperPort and it contains my life for the past 10 years. I won't be beaten by this!

spuds 13:40 PM 16 Jun 12

Perhaps not going to help you with the PaperPort issue, but I have a range of multifunction printer's, including a HP OfficeJet which must be nearly 14 years old (possibly older) and still working well.

HP support isn't as good as it was, but that possibly just my opinion over a recent problem?.

My recent purchases have been WiFi Canon (Argos) and HP (Staples) printer's, because they were very cheap on special offer. But have you considered Brother, because I have a DCP-135C that seems to tick all the boxes ( It came with a 1 year warranty, but on registration Brother added 2 more years for free).

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

MIT builds an awesome 3D printer that can use 10 materials at once

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites