Network Printer wanted

redsparrow 13:02 03 Feb 08

Looking to buy a network mono laser printer for home use. Have a wireless network using Netgear DG834, 2 XP machines (1 of which is wired) and 1 vista laptop. Wired computer is current printer server to usb connected laser printer (Brother 1430), but want to be able to print out without having the print server machine turned on. Have been looking around on the web and have found the following.

click here

or

click here

or is it worth going the full distance and buying the wireless version?

click here

Any comments on the above or any other printer recommendations would be appreciated.

Woolwell 14:53 03 Feb 08

I use a Lexmark E120N to do exactly what you want. I have it connected by ethernet to my wireless router and my wife's laptop can pick it up wirelessly without having my desktop PC swtiched on. The desktop PC also connect to the printer through the router.

I am not sure that I would fully recommend the Lexmark. I think that it's running costs are slightly higher than other models and I found that it needed a fixed IP and the instructions about that were not very good. Having said that it is relatively speedy and I like the quality of output.

Suggest you read as many reviews as you can.

I am am not sure that it is worth going as far as wireless unless you cannot conviently sit the printer close to the router or it becomes a pain to go and collect the output.

redsparrow 15:42 03 Feb 08

tks for your comment woolwell. I had considered a Lexmark, but the consumables are more expensive than the brother.

wiz-king 15:52 03 Feb 08

I have several Brother laser printers and faxes around and I have had no bother with any of them. Not these models but earlier versions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…