Netbooks with Windows 7

iscanut2 09:35 28 Dec 09

Does anyone know if there are any Netbooks that come with Win 7 Home Premium rather than the limited Starter edition ?

Awshum 10:41 28 Dec 09

Microsoft limits what can be a. called a netbook and b. which version of windows gets installed.

The answer is: It's not a netbook if Win7 prem is installed.

click here

sunnystaines 12:12 28 Dec 09

read your link thats a shame it has those limits
2gb of RAM and a better ver of w7 would be so good.

Forum Editor 13:15 28 Dec 09

before long.

The small form factor is a winner, but the limited computing power is not. As manufacturers strive to make netbooks more powerful they're killing the biggest market advantage they have - they're ramping up the selling price, so now a decent netbook costs the same as a basic full sized laptop.

We'll move away from netbooks towards the phone manufacturers, who are developing new devices that can fulfil all our communications needs, and more besides.

LinH 13:16 28 Dec 09

iscanut

Windows 7 Starter is adequate for a netbook. As you say, it is somewhat limited, but then so is a netbook.

I have a Samsung N140 with 7 Starter and it is just about right, though I did increase the memory to 2gig.

If you want to use all of 7 Home Premium's features then you need a 'normal' laptop, not a netbook as it would be far to slow.

LinH

iscanut2 14:35 28 Dec 09

Thanks all

flick 16:47 28 Dec 09

I have an Asus 1000HD XP which I bought over a year ago when I upped the RAM to 2GB. I recently installed Win7 Home Premium and now find that it runs better than before - start up marginally quicker, video (recorded TV and downloaded iplayer progs)is now very smooth and photo processing software is much quicker.

I find that when travelling, the combination of a 10" screen, light weight and long battery life plus the ability to watch videos, listen to music, store, view and process photos, surf and skype, fulfills almost all my needs at a price that won't kill me if it breaks or I lose it. I have a tiny 5yr old Nokia with local sim card if I need to make/receive phone calls.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…