Netbooks, are you satisfied??

rickf 09:54 14 Jan 11

Wondering what your experience is. I got one recently with 2g memory, an Acer. Overall, it's a frustrating experience as it's too slow and this takes away the advantage of it being light and small. Thinking about selling it now.
Think I'll go for a 14"laptop instead. One is lighter than the standard lappy.

dms_05 10:13 14 Jan 11

I have an MSI Wind netbook with 1 Gb RAM running XP. I've also loaded a Linux distro called Jolicloud. Both run well and whilst it isn't as fast as my i3 dual core laptop with 4 Gb of RAM it's fast enough for portable use. It's not a replacement for a laptop and if you want the performance of a laptop then buy a laptop. However I'd not replace my netbook whilst travelling and it has the massive advantage over Tablets of a complete QWERTY keyboard that is very usable. It also has 3 USB, Card Reader, LAN port and VGA port (which displays at 1920*1080 on my monitor).

If I run Jolicloud (a genuine 'cloud' OS) then it becomes very fast and has a massive battery life in 'sleep' mode (96 hours with a 7.8 Ah battery). It runs for about 7 hours on the battery using WiFi.

So it's horses for courses.

Quickbeam 10:27 14 Jan 11

I'm happy with the Samsung netbook I bought 2 years ago with the upgraded 2g memory, I've never thought it slow for office apps or surfing.

Al94 10:35 14 Jan 11

I have a 2 year old Acer Aspire One with 1gb ram running XP and don't notice anything slow at all. Running Office fine.

rickf 11:06 14 Jan 11

Perhaps, I should get rid of Wins 7 starter and install XP instead or Vista. Wins 7 fullversion would be too much for this, I think. Any suggestions.

Quickbeam 11:27 14 Jan 11

Isn't that why they put Win 7 satrter on thyem, so as not to strain them?

Quickbeam 11:28 14 Jan 11

Such strange slelling, that's my only complaint of notebooks, the small keyboard...

Quickbeam 11:28 14 Jan 11

Oh! I give up!

interzone55 11:59 14 Jan 11

I've had a Dell Mini 10 and am generally happy with it.
It's still as shipped with 1gb ram and XP Home.
I use it for web browsing mainly, so the standard IE8 interface is too cluttered so I've installed Chrome.

The most annoying thing about 10" netbooks, apart from the slightly reduced keys, is the 1024 x 600 screen resolution, which means you can't fit much text per screen.

The 4 hour battery life is good, I typed up quite a long document on a train from London to Manchester last year...

Legolas 13:59 14 Jan 11

I have just bought a Samsung 14" Lappy. Light enough and with more power than A netbook, 3GB ram running Win 7 so far it seems fast enough.

dms_05 14:25 14 Jan 11

The difference is my Laptop cost almost 3 times the Netbook. So on a per £ value the netbook is exceptional.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…