Netbooks

Ticketyboo 07:30 26 Aug 09

I'm thinking about buying a netbook and looking for recomendations about £300, also if there is no optical drive how do you install software?
Thanks for any advice.

tullie 08:43 26 Aug 09

I have a Samsung NC10,terrific battery life and well built.
You will have to buy an external DVD Drive,which i think cost me thirty odd quid.A pen drive would also be usefull.

oldbeefer2 09:42 26 Aug 09

I've just ordered an NC10 from Dabs for £288. Be careful, though - some places (eg Comet) are selling them for less, but these have a much smaller battery capacity (4 hours quoted as opposed to 8hrs). There's a thread about it click here. The NC10 does come out as one of the best in several reviews. As tullie says, an external player is required. I ordered this one click here from Amazon on Monday, and it arrived this morning.

bremner 11:17 26 Aug 09

Recently bought my son a Toshiba NB200- NL with a 9 hour battery.

Great bit of kit from one of the very top Laptop manufacturers.

interzone55 11:37 26 Aug 09

I can't honestly remember the last time I installed anything off a CD or DVD, probably the last time I installed MS Office.

Most programs these days come as downloads, so just either download them to your desktop, or to another PC and copy to a flash drive.

Another option would be to share a DVD drive from another PC across the network...

Quiet Life 16:28 26 Aug 09

If you do not have an other computer then an external drive is more than desirable.
If you do have another computer then a flash drive is all that you will need. Programs on CDs can be copied to the flash drive or a USB external drive and run from there.

GaT7 16:35 26 Aug 09

You may want to consider the newer Samsung N110 model for ~£30 extra click here. Links in this recent thread click here. G

realist 20:23 26 Aug 09

Save some money:
click here;jsessionid=C930DF99DDB8C06C6A76C9C190B126CD.sol88-31

oldbeefer2 21:52 26 Aug 09

7in is a bit small for some (in my dreams!), but it does look good value for money.

WolframBlitzen 22:22 26 Aug 09

Sorry in advance if this isn’t very specific

I would avoid the Asus EEPCs that run on linux. I’m no linux hater (I actually quite like it) but if you’re not familiar with it I would suggest sticking with the windows-based ones. You’ll also want to make sure you get one with a hard drive, not one of those with an 8GB SSD since the SSD ones run out of storage space when you save a 1-line notepad document

As for the DVD Drive, there’s a few options. The external option that people have already stated, there’s also the fact most versions of software now come with a downloadable trial version that you can put your licence key into. The other option is you can copy your program cds to a memory stick.

Ticketyboo 07:02 28 Aug 09

Many thanks for all your advice, gives me plenty to think about. Cheers, T.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now