netbooks and 2gb of RAM

sunnystaines 20:25 14 Mar 10

Does anyone know why netbooks can be upgraded to 2gb of RAM but microsoft restricts makers to just fitting 1gb of RAM. And also imposes a 2nd restriction of only shipping with w7 starter pack, when they will easily run on home premium.

I feel that for reasons i can't fathom out progress of netbooks is being held back.

anyone enlighten me please.

tullie 20:28 14 Mar 10

I have just fitted 2gb of ram to my netbook,instead of the 1gb that was installed from new.I dont understand why you say Microsoft restricts it.

sunnystaines 21:34 14 Mar 10

I took the issue up with MSI and that is what they told me

scotty 12:00 15 Mar 10

Quote:
Microsoft will only sell Starter to OEMs for use on netbooks that have a 10.2-in. or smaller screen, no more than 1GB of memory, a hard disk drive of 250GB or less (or a solid-state drive no larger than 64GB) and a single-core processor no faster than 2GHz.

tullie, there is nothing to stop you adding memory after you buy a netbook but M$ will only allow it to be sold with 1GB if it has Win7 starter installed.

sunnystaines, netbooks are cheap so M$ have to offer an OS which does not put too high a cost differential compared to netbooks with free operating systems. (Early netbooks gave a hugh boost to linux). They want to retain higher prices for selling Win7 on other pcs. The restrictions are intended to maintain a clear distinction between netbooks and other pcs.

I find it hard to believe that they get away with this.

sunnystaines 16:03 15 Mar 10

thanks for the above MS sound out of order, surprised the makers have not got together and put pressure on MS

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…