Need a wireless PCMCIA card

griffo 12:21 22 Aug 06

As the WLAN has packed up on my Acer Aspire 5021 WLMi (18 months old!), I think the only economic solution will be a wireless PCMCIA card. My home and office routers are 54Mbps, so I guess there's no point in buying a higher spec. card?

Can anyone advise which card(s) I should consider please?

Stuartli 13:50 22 Aug 06

Plenty here:

click here

griffo 14:40 22 Aug 06

thanks, anything I should look for when choosing?

Al94 15:02 22 Aug 06

If possible try to go for one the same make as your router - might make a difference in terms of performance

griffo 16:14 22 Aug 06

Sensible suggestion, unfortunately the routers are different makes. I'm more concerned to get the right spec really.

ade.h 16:37 22 Aug 06

The "right" brand is of more relevance than the "same" brand except where proprietary technologies are used. WPA2 (11i) support is advantageous if the router also supports it and indicates a more modern product (with current ratification), while WPA (11x) support is a basic essential. I have been quite impressed by Linksys PCMCIAs.

Strawballs 00:40 25 Aug 06

click here Make sure you go for the 11g not 11b

griffo 11:53 26 Aug 06

thanks for all the replies. Unless I've missed something, the question about speed hasn't been answered, or has it? My home router is a DrayTek Vigor 2600G (54Mbps) ADSL Wireless.

Some PCMCIA adapters seem to be offering speeds up to 240Mbps, would I actually obtain any of this increased performance without changing the router(s)?

ade.h 14:04 26 Aug 06

"....or has it?" Yes, Strawballs has covered it. You should choose standard 802.11g devices unless you want to invest in a complete proprietary system, with varying degrees of benefit. Not only that, but with 802.11n soon to be ratified at last, it is not a good idea to throw extra money at proprietary equipment. If you are buying now, choose 802.11g and stay with that until 11n settles down and you have both the budget and a good reason to upgrade. I won't be moving to 11n until my current laptop reaches 2 years old and becomes due for replacement, by which time the internal adapters will support 11n.

griffo 20:27 26 Aug 06

OK got it, many thanks.

ade.h 21:00 26 Aug 06

No problem :o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…