Need some advice regarding Enermax PSU

Zion_Lion 18:28 05 Mar 07

Hi peeps... now I'm pretty sure that I have not got a leg to stand on with this one, but it doesn't hurt to ask, so here it is...
In December 06 I'd saved the cash to build myself a high end rig which consisted of: Asus P5Nd2 SLI Deluxe mobo, x2 NVIDIA GF7900 GTX's, 3.8 Intel, 4G Crucial Ballistix ram, Creative FX Elite Pro and so on. The PSU I brought was an Enermax Liberty 620W, which at the time I couldn't find much negativity to be said about the unit to put me off buying it. Anyway, the other night while I was online about to make a payment in eBay, the PC switched of just as though someone had switched it off at the wall socket . After I couldn't switch it back on again I new thing were bad in the sense that I knew the PSU had more than likely gone, and although I was a bit shocked that PSU had failed so early after just coming out of warranty, it was something I could lived with.
New PSU arrived Tuesday, and after replacing it I was a little bit surprised to find that she still wasn't going to start.. whats happening is that she'll turn on for a spit second, then the new PSU cuts out, the PSU state light on the back goes red, and I'm getting some beep codes from the PSU indicating in the manual that either:
1) Power supply abnormal, protected circuit activated.
2) Connector terminals are short-circuited.

Now I've done everything that I can without my tools (that I stupidly left over a friends house) I haven't even got a dam multimeter at hand, but I've boned the pc down to using only one graphics card and one stick of ram with no joy, I haven't even got a spare PSU to try.
Anyway.. I called Enermax last Thursday and explained my situation, the guy I was speaking to seemed a helpful chap, and reckoned that the new unit must be faulty, as he didn't seem to think that the 620W Liberty PSU would take out the mobo if it failed.
Now I know they're sending me a replacement PSU, but what if I get the same thing happen with this one, surely it cant be that coincidental to be sent two bad PSU's, and would point to something more serious having occurred other than just the PSU failing.
My main concern is that it hasn't touched the CPU, because that cost me a small mortgage.. lol
But seriously, if the PSU has taken out more that just itself, am I just going to have to bite the bullet, or has Enermax still got some responsibility here. Like I said, I don't think I have a case since the warranty ran out at the end of December, but it 's always good to ask.

Regards ZL

Stuartli 19:24 05 Mar 07

I would say that Enermax has done everything required of it to date, but you will need to clear up one point.

You state that the warranty ran out at the end of December, but your second paragraph starts with the words:

"In December 06 I'd saved the cash to build myself a high end rig.. "

Zion_Lion 20:24 05 Mar 07

Oops... sorry about that, I meant to say Dec05 when built system, so the warranty expired at the end of Dec06.
It just seems a bit savage if it's taken out the CPU and you knows else what (if it has at all).
I know thing fail, and I know that there are so many variables that determine how and why things fail, I just thought that if a component failed in such a way that it took out everything else with it, and it ended up costing you a small fortune, then the company who's brand names plastered over said product should hold some responsibility when the product fails just outside its warranty period, because as far as I'm concerned the PSU did not fail safely.
Now I'm not saying that everyone who ends up with a dodgy PSU that fails should get special treatment, especially after their warranty has expired, but I would expect them to listen to your case and not dismiss it without putting any thought into the decision, especially if you've just suffered a major catastrophe due to their failed component just out of warranty.
I would have thought that they would have certain circumstances that they would honor your claim, as long as you meet the criteria.

ZL

Stuartli 23:50 05 Mar 07

But this, to all intents and purposes,is speculation on your part, especially with regard to the PSU.

The problem is further exacerbated by the fact that it's a self-build system.

bennyhillslovechild 00:06 06 Mar 07

It's a very slim chance, but here's one I would offer. I've been called out to a couple of situations where the PSU has taken out the motherboard. It doesn't work very often, but it may be worth resetting your CMOS jumpers, and trying again with the new PSU......It's a long slot, but it has actually worked for me a few times.

Totally-braindead 10:08 06 Mar 07

I've only ever had 2 power supplies blow up. One covered the inside of the case with shattered glass from the fuse casing inside the power supply but neither damaged the other components.
Perhaps I was lucky.

vinnyT 13:39 06 Mar 07

I don't thionk you will get anywhere with a claim against enermax, as they are sending a replacement psu, I think that's the limit of their liability.

However, you may be able to claim against your household insurance, give them a call and see what they say.

Of course you should wait and see if the replacement psu solves the problem before trying to make a claim.

Zion_Lion 19:56 06 Mar 07

Well thanks for your comments peeps, although I was 99.99% sure about the outcome, I was just holding out for that little 1%.. lol
Beta, I'm curious as to whether your PSU failed on all three instances, or was it just your boards that failed.
I'm almost sure it was the PSU that failed first though, since when it did fail all the chassis and fan lights got brighter for a split second, and also it popped the fuse, and PSU blows a fuse as soon as switched on, but we shall never know.

Regards all

ZL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac