Need a new Security package- Advice please

goforit 18:01 01 Jul 08

I have had an AVG package which I paid around £30 for. It is about to run out. The current one takes up to 7 hours to scan my computer! It also slows it down for quite a while when I first switch on.

Any recommendations? I don't mind paying for something that is reliable and doesnt slow down my PC massively.

I saw somewhere on this site a piece about Spyware 5.5. Sounded promising. Any good?

Thanks

Sophie

wjrt 18:15 01 Jul 08
  spuds 19:45 01 Jul 08

Seven hours to do a scan seems rather high. Do you have loads of downloads that you keep changing around?.

In the link that wjrt as supplied, gives many recommended freeware programs, but remember not to have more than one anti-virus program installed, as this might lead to problems.

The computer that I am using at present, as Avast (anti-virus), Sunbelt (firewall),Spyware Terminator, CCleaner and Advance Window Care2. Its runs perfectly, and all the programs are free with mostly regular updates. A complete scan and correction takes no more than 15 minutes about once a week if needed.

sconedd 20:11 01 Jul 08

I have NOD32 from click here. Been using it for a while now. You don't even know it's there, it gets very good write ups. Does not hog the system. In fact they did have a deal on, 2 years subsciption for £33.18 + vat. I think you can also subscribe for longer, the price being accordingly. Tyr it for 30 days and then if you like it, you can pay for it. Hope this helps.

RobCharles1981 22:51 01 Jul 08
  birdface 13:12 02 Jul 08

New free one on PCA home page.click here No idea how good it is.But from a British company.

interzone55 15:34 02 Jul 08

Remember that the time taken for an AV scan depends on a number of factors

1) power & ram of PC
2) number of files that need scanning
3) amount of other work the computer is doing during the scan

I've got hundreds of thousands of files on my PC - MP3 files, images, database log files and other assorted rubbish.
I have AVG 8.0 and it scans the whole lot in about 4 hours. I have it set to run at 11pm on a Sunday, so I just leave the PC on overnight to perform the scan.

birdface 17:28 02 Jul 08

You do know that you can put a tick in the box to power down AVG when it finishes scanning.Great little tool.

goforit 18:31 02 Jul 08

Thanks everyone for your response. Very helpful indeed.

wjrt: I have used both AVG free and Avast. The latter (2 years back) had an American voice shouting "You have a suspicious email" and the sound of a siren and a nuclear image in a dialog box if I forgot to put a subject line in when sending an email out. Frightened the living daylights out of me every time!

My current AVG 8 (I think) scans every day and I have not been able to find out how to change that to once a week.

spuds: Thanks for your contribution. I will look at your suggestions particularly for the cleaner and window care.

sconedd: Many thanks to you too. I have had a look at NOD32 and am very interested. I think I will go for this one. Do you think I will need a firewall and anti-spyware with it?

My thanks to Alan14, Buteman and Rob too. The only thing I did know about AVG is the tick in the box to have it shut down ofter the scan!

I do have a fair bit in the way of photos on my PC and large software packages such as Adobe products but no music.

Luckily I don't have any 'craplets' as my PC was built for me by a friend. But I am sure I must have loads of rubbish from 3 years of use.

Not sure if I trust a registry cleaner though.

Sophie

sconedd 19:42 02 Jul 08

Hi goforit, no you will not need a firewall, because I think your system will have it's own but NOD32 will take care of it anyway. Hope this helps. Good luck

interzone55 20:59 02 Jul 08

I didn't know that, but I have my backup routine set to kick in at 6am - so this wouldn't run.

I only leave my laptop running one night a week, so I don't feel I'm killing to many penguins...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple