Need a new monitor

Ancient Learner 15:10 27 May 06

Once yesterday and once today, so far, I have suddenly had a black screen with a blue white very thin (1/32" about) line across the middle, horizontally. I tried all ways to escape from this, the restart button got me nowhere, and only by switching off completely could I restart.

I've taken advise, and the bad news is that the monitor is on its way out. Marvelous really, as this present one was bought on the 1st May 2003 - a Diamond Pro 930SB.

So I have to bite the bullet. I've fondly looked at 21" then 20" screens and decided that to get a decent quality, the cost is too much for me to cope with, so it's a 19" one. I play games, and like to fiddle about with photos as well so it needs to be a decent one. ( hence this present one). After much reading of mags and Googling I seem to have got it down to the Viewsonic VX924, which Amazon have at about £256 delivered.

Any comments from anyone please, before I plunge.

LEH 15:24 27 May 06

in PC ADvisor "digital world" right now on 19" TFT's, have alook there. At that price there is a Phillips and a Formac that people are rating highly too. The Formacs have impressive specs and look great. The Phillips has useful things like USB inputs on the case for plugging your camera in...

961 15:33 27 May 06

My Diamond Pro 930 is about the same age and I believe had a 3 year warranty which makes you very unlucky

Have you tried e-mailing the maker and asking if, in view of the short time out of warranty, they would consider making an allowance if you bought another?

I suppose, like me, you were satisfied with the quality

Ancient Learner 16:09 27 May 06

All very interesting, thank you.

The Formac looks OK. but an unknown maker, to me anyway, do make me a little bit wary.

The Philips is a little cheaper at Saveastore, and is cheaper than the VX924.

Perhaps I'll go for that.

I think that I put this on the right forum, but then the other similar query was on the Digital one. A puzzle really.

Ancient Learner 12:14 28 May 06

Ordered the Philips.

Thanks for the help.

spuds 12:55 28 May 06

Did you check the warranty terms and conditions. Most places still give a three year 'swap-over' or 'RTB' cover on monitors, but some retailers have reduced this cover to 1 year, due to contractual procedures (ie extended warranties to cover the extra two years!).Best to check this, when you open the box.

Ancient Learner 21:21 17 Jun 06

Thanks spuds. Panicked as there was very little paper work in the box. However the manual is on a CD and in there it clearly states 3 years.

I am very pleased with the monitor by the way.

Ancient Learner 21:22 17 Jun 06

Thanks spuds. Panicked as there was very little paper work in the box. However the manual is on a CD and in there it clearly states 3 years.

I am very pleased with the monitor by the way.

spuds 21:45 17 Jun 06

Glad to hear that you are finally sorted, and have a winner.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…