Need help with using the forum?

Forum Editor 23:41 21 Dec 03

I'm seeing a considerable increase in the number of emails from new forum users who aren't too sure about how it all works - how to post threads, what's acceptable forum etiquette, etc.

Quite naturally, many people are a little reticent about asking such questions in public, so they email me. I like to respond to every request, but sometimes it takes a while - my inbox overflows every day - so.......... I've written a beginner's guide to using the forum, including hints and tips on posting, and how to get the best out of it all. Over Christmas I'll be happy to email a copy to anyone who wants one - all you have to do is click on the little envelope next to my name in this thread, or use the 'Contact the Forum Editor' link in the blue panel at the top left-hand corner of the forum pages.

You don't need to send me a long message - just say "send forum guide", and one will be with you within a day or so. I'll use the email address that you send from unless you specify a different one in your request.

That's it - Please don't use this thread to make requests, or for any other purpose other than to refresh it to keep it near the top of the page for a few days.

Sir Radfordin 09:53 22 Dec 03

Would it not be worthwhile putting it in the download area so people don't need to contact you they can just download it from a link in this post? If other members could point them in the direction to do so if they felt there was a need?

vinnyT 11:26 22 Dec 03

^Bump^

Taran 12:59 22 Dec 03

^^

spuds 17:20 22 Dec 03

^..^

Forum Editor 18:34 22 Dec 03

I can understand your suggestion, but we don't particularly want to offer a download. It would add yet another drain on our bandwidth, and site traffic is increasing - we need to keep the bandwidth for page serving.

There are other good reasons - but we'll leave it there for now.

Sir Radfordin 19:33 22 Dec 03

Thats fine...your site an all that ;)

Did notice you had said the same thing when I took a nosy at the same thread in the helproom so am not surprised to see you say it again.

Forum Editor 18:23 23 Dec 03

by the number of requests I've received. There are far too many for me to be able to acknowledge individually, so I'm acknowledging none of them. The guides will go out (in Word doc format) as a mass email at some point over the next four days, so please don't worry - you'll get your copy soon.

terminus 05:55 25 Dec 03

^ bump ^

terminus 22:34 25 Dec 03

^ bump ^

whatsupdoc 12:05 26 Dec 03

/

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…