Need help deciding on a new PC

confusedpcbuyer 13:59 19 Aug 06

Hi

I hope someone here can help me out! I'm looking to purchase a new computer, mainly for downloading and storing music, surfing the net, a bit of word processing etc. I'm not really worried about gaming.

I have done some research in various mags and have found a deal which I think would suit my needs quite well, however I'm confused as to whether or not a system with a dualcore processor would be better - perhaps the AMD Athlon 64x2? Would a dualcore processor help "future proof" the computer more than a standard one?

Here's the link for the system I'm looking at:

click here

The £600ish mark is by budget. Any advice would be greatly received as I'm getting quite confused!

Thanks a lot!

GaT7 18:42 19 Aug 06

The Zoostorm 2-4301 Versatile PC won best buy in a Comp-shopper review click here (click here for the actual review).

The AOC LM765 monitor(?) may be a weak link in an otherwise fine spec. Conflicting statements though:

From a CS review of the similar Zoostorm 2-4403 click here:
"The AOC LM765 monitor didn't impress in our tests. We found it difficult to get a really crisp, bright image without losing contrast and like the other budget TFTs in this group test, it had a grainy tinge. Thankfully, colours were more impressively handled and it didn't suffer from ghosting in fast-moving games."

And, from the original review where it's fine, but fewer details provided: "The Zoostorm's 17" LCD screen produced bright whites and an acceptably smooth progression from light to dark in our greyscale test." G

GaT7 19:14 19 Aug 06

Couple of Mesh £599 dualcore PCs to consider with 19" TFTs & Windows Media Center:

Premier M2 with an AMD 64 X2 3800+ CPU click here & Elite² E6300 with the latest Intel 'Conroe' CPU click here. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…