Need help choosing laptop

phizzy 16:08 17 Jun 10

Have done some considerable reserach, read the reviews, understand the specs, etc, but cannot come to a decision on which laptop to get! Hope you guys can all help me.

The choices are:-

Samsung R530 - will prob try and get this with the i-3 processor, 3gb RAM. Liking it as it looks stylish, and the R series apparently has a Silent mode which is a big thing for me. Want a quiet laptop.

Acer 5741 - again, looking at the i-3 processor. Bit more business-like in looks.

Bit about me: am not a gamer. I am a writer so I'll be word processing most of the time with some video streaming (iplayer etc) and want it to be able to provide a good movie-viewing experience.

Hope someone out there can help me make the decision. :)

Many thanks for reading this.

P

interzone55 17:16 17 Jun 10

I don't know much about the laptops you're looking at, as you've not given full specs, but if you're a writer you should really look at the Lenovo Thinkpad series, their keyboards are beyond compare...

chub_tor 18:26 17 Jun 10

click here is one of many laptop reliability reports to be found on the internet. Acer do not come out well, Samsung are not mentioned.

john bunyan 20:17 17 Jun 10

Quite a bit dearer ( abt £630) but I did a lot of homework and have just bought a Toshiba Sattelite L650 - 10G. My local repair guy says Toshiba and Asus (not acer) are good and reasonable to repair.Have a TV / PVR dongle and TV looks good - not a gamer either but it does have quite a good video card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…