Need a good OCR programme

Mike D 10:54 06 Aug 07

I need an OCR programme that is better that the light versions usually given away with a scanner.

We are going to be scanning documents which contain fields and graphics. I used to use a Pagis product which could recognise field and insert then into editable Word documents, but I cannot find an updated version (needs to work with XP).

Any recommendations please.

Mike

€dstowe 11:08 06 Aug 07

My father was looking for this software the other day - preferably free as he only had one job to do.

He gave up. The only free one he found was SimpleOCR 3 which he said wasn't much better than the OCR program he had in the 1990's.

He came here this morning and used my Omnipage Pro.

Beware if you Google SimpleOCR - SiteAdvisor comes up with a lot of danger signals.

stylehurst 14:01 06 Aug 07

I would recommend Omnipage Pro. Normally you find that you can upgrade from any OCR package supplied with a scanner for a fraction of the MRP price advertised.
Another program worthy of consideration is Abbyy

Stuartli 14:41 06 Aug 07

I use to use ReadIris:

click here

Mike D 15:02 06 Aug 07

Thanks guys, I now realise that Omnipage Pro comes from the same stable as my old software, Pagis Pro, so I will probably go with that one.

Mike

T0SH 16:15 06 Aug 07

There is a free OCR program here I have not tried it though so cant say how good it is

click here

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced