Need a cheap & speedy laptop - help!

Katstar 16:02 15 May 07

I am going away for 6 weeks on research leave and have just found out the laptop I was meant to be hiring is no longer available. I was going to purchase a laptop sometime in the future, but not for this trip as I didn't think I had time; however, circumstances have changed, and I now need to find a cheap computer that is not slow (I will be working on it all day, every day).

I know nothing about specs, so I wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction as to what to go for? All my work is in XP, so I don't really want Vista (though believe I could just install an old version of Windows even if it has Vista - is this true?). I will only really be using it for internet access and some quite big files in Windows; and I may watch some DVDs on it as well.

What sort of Ram and Hard drive should I be aiming for? Are any brands better than others? And does anyone know of any good deals at the moment? Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated...

Totally-braindead 16:56 15 May 07

How cheap is cheap?

Don't have a laptop but personally if I was going to get one I would consider a Toshiba. Two of my friends have them, one runs her business on it and has had it for nearly 4 years, in use every day and has never missed a beat. Other has had theirs over 2 years and again no problems.
Heres some as an example click here if you do buy from Morgans pay particular attention as to whether the laptop is new or refurbished. Personally I would only buy a new one, but thats me.

wjrt 23:26 15 May 07

click here
walk in take home check its working and you are set

wee eddie 10:03 16 May 07

is probably one of the best sources.

Most will be loaded with the old version of Windows, which means that all your software is compliant and that it is just that little bit faster.

Prices are about 65% of On-line new.

Katstar 19:11 16 May 07

Thank you all! I was probably looking at about £400 (time and money being against me). What is the 'Dell Reseller Unit'?

I've seen a 'Fujitsu Siemens Amilo L1 1705' for £349, but I've no idea about the make - does anyone know if they are any good? I keep hearing good things about Toshiba, but they are a bit more expensive...

wee eddie 20:50 16 May 07

and sell the returns. Full Guarantee etc.

I think called EuroDell

Fellsider 22:24 16 May 07

My view is that it's got to be click here

Katstar 12:49 18 May 07

Thank you all for your help - it has been very helpful. Once I get this I can start to think what I am going to do on it...!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos