Need advice on buying a new laptop

peakoily 21:39 21 Aug 13

I would like to buy a new laptop and cannot decide which one to choose. I am considering these two options:

*HP ENVY m6-1120ew i7-3632QM (2.2GHz), 15.6" HD BV LED, 8GB (2x4GB), HDD 1TB, DVDRW, AMD Radeon HD7670 2GB, Webcam, WIFI, Bluetooth, BATT 6C 47 WHr, ACA 90W, - WIN8 64

specs: click here

pictures: click here

*HP Pavilion g6-2209eo i5-3210M (2.5GHz), 15.6" HD BV LED, 8GB (2x4GB), HDD 1TB, DVDRW, AMD Radeon HD7670 2GB, Webcam, WIFI, Bluetooth, BATT 6C 47 WHr, ACA 90W, - WIN8 64

specs: click here
pictures: click here

This laptop will be used mostly for browsing, microsoft office tasks, photoshop, watching videos and some light gaming like the Sims 3. Also, I usually multi-task and open many applications at a time. Although the overall performance of the Pavillion is obviously better, I read some reviews that the design is worse since it has glossy plastic surface and is thicker than the Envy. Plus, the Envy has a better sound system and keyboard backlight, which could be quite convenient. The price difference is only 70 Euros so that does not matter to me that much. I would really appreciate if anyone could give me some advice. Thank you!

peakoily 00:41 22 Aug 13

Several reviews/benchmarks said that the i7-3632QM would be better for processing several applications simultaneously because it has more cores, while the i5-3210M has higher clock speed. I'm not a techy person so I just assume this based on what I've read. According to this click here, they are rated equally. Would you say that they are both comparable in terms of performance? If so, it would be really helpful if you could explain the difference to me.

Graphicool1 11:10 22 Aug 13

peakoily

Here's a little light reading for you on the difference between i5 and i7 CLICK HERE and enjoy. I hope it helps you in your decision.

Although if all you intend doing is...

"This laptop will be used mostly for browsing, microsoft office tasks, photoshop, watching videos and some light gaming like the Sims 3."

I myself, as my handle implies am a Graphic Artist and my rig has a more than adequate i3. It can do all you want yours to do and much more besides, including playing online MMORPG games such as 'World of Warcraft' and 'TERA Rising'.

However, having said that if I'd have had the money when I built my rig I would have gone for what (at that time) I perceived to be the best I could get, where the more you can pay would appear to buy you the best. I think it's a lot to do with that saying...

"You only get what you pay for"

But it is my experience that this doesn't always apply! Still at the end of the day it's your choice, if it would make you feel happier with your purchase, then don't let us stand in your way, why bother asking, splash the cash.

Forum Editor 11:58 22 Aug 13

Transferred to Tech Consumer Advice from Tech Helproom.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…