need advice about wireless working

terminalfailure 16:13 02 Aug 04

Can any of you techies out there help me out.

I am seriously thinking about purchasing this technology as I am going to be on the road a bit in UK and abroad but I find that I really can not find all the info I would like.

I am led to understand that I need a ground station ie airport,hotel etc but someone said to me that there was a system that was linked to mobile phone technology which meant that if you could get a mobile signal you could use the laptop. I have seen nothing on this.

The second point is what or whose software do I need to link up with IE6 or an ISP and does anyone know the costs involved.

Any assistance for an old out of date retired techie would be appreciated.

TomJerry 16:45 02 Aug 04

using 3G (or 2.5G) technology, most mobile provides (e.g. orange and vodaphone) provide this service, charge is normally based on data traffic, but fixed charge also possible which is around £100 a month.

Magik ®© 17:45 02 Aug 04

If you have either a infrared mobile or a data link, you can just use the mobile, ok for getting emails and the like, but it might cost a bit to surf around, I use my motorola timeport and the infrared part of it, with BT they give you another number to it just dials out on the laptop as if you were at home....

TomJerry 19:34 02 Aug 04
  terminalfailure 06:37 04 Aug 04

Thanks Guys I'm getting there help appreciated

PUNKA 10:15 04 Aug 04

Various places now have hotspots where you can access the web even our local petrol station has one !! just look for wireless hotspot available signs pay the fee and log on it might even be cheaper than using your mobile but I do not have much knowledge of that, lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…