nav sat systems for walkers

Beverley Anne 21:52 01 Dec 06

Can any nav sat system be used when walking and any ideas which to go for?

I don't drive and want one for uk only. so just a basic one for getting me from a to b would suit me down the ground.

cheers

jimmybond 22:12 01 Dec 06

try here:

click here

I hope you're not going to spend too much, as I'm sure they'll all work fine in the city/countryside ...and the fact is, when you're walking at 3mph - these funny papery type things called 'maps' do just as well ;-)

Beverley Anne 22:37 01 Dec 06

thanks jimmybond for the quick reply I'll check out the link you gave in the morning

spuds 23:22 01 Dec 06

I have the Garmin eTrex, which you will find on the link provided by jimmybond. This is a very popular model,and used in this country by many outdoor types, but the model is now getting a little old in the tooth. I think Maplin's were selling these a short time ago, below the £90 mark. I bought mine brand new about 12 month's ago through eBay and from America, all for £59.00.

Only used mine once in the great outdoors, but what I have seen is very good.

bfoc 23:28 01 Dec 06

Quite common now that more recent versions of sat-nav software (such as Tom-Tom or Destinator)have a pedestrian mode which, coupled with postcode searching, should offer guidance from a-b around towns and cities.

Of course if what you want is assistance when walking in the moors, fells and mountains then the link given above is ideal.

jakimo 23:46 01 Dec 06

With this story in mind,it may be expedient to take a spare pair of boots with you on your next walking expedition

click here

Stuartli 23:59 01 Dec 06

...and make sure you are not trying to undertake a 12 mile walk in the south of England and end up in Manchester...:-)

click here

One wonders at the intelligence of such people.....

spuds 10:08 02 Dec 06

Stuartli

That sort of thing happens on a regular basis. More down to human error and as you say intelligence. A similar article in the summer period was about a couple who left Glasgow for a day trip to Blackpool, and ended up in Birmingham. The couple did say, that they thought some of the road sign names were confusing!.

Then again, a friend of mine owns an haulage fleet.A few years back, two of his driver's were due to deliver loads to Newcastle under Lyme but ended up in Newcastle upon Tyne.He and his customer were not happy people.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5